Author Topic: What would cause a heck of a back fire like this???  (Read 4236 times)

opelitis1

• View Profile
What would cause a heck of a back fire like this???
« on: November 14, 2008, 01:07:26 PM »
Friend did a re-ring /bearings and hand held hone job on a 350ci whilst putting in a XE 268 hydr. cam.
Beast would start and by the time he jumped outta the car to adjust timing, she'd die..  He tried this a couple of times and noticed carb and fuel pressure regulator  had sprung leaks...  Decided to shut her down for the day and gave me a call as I had a neat 600 Holley ready to go... so to speak.
He put on a decent spare regulator with  the know good Holley. This was 2 days after the engine would not keep runningas gas was leaking..
He turned the key, and, instant friggin'  blast came outta the psgr. side muffler..  I was on this side looking for leaks, Holy GeeMoly the front of the muffler was "bowed out" and the seam almost split.
Friend looked at me and he said I was white..  I really did not expect this...  Was there residual gas left in this muffler for 2 days, and when she caught, she exploded?? 
Good end to story is, engine runs great with carb.  How could there be liquid gas or vapors in only one muffler (psgr side) out of a dual system for 2 days???
Oh yeah, nuttin' to worry 'bout me boys, my skin color / heart rate - normal again..
T...

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: What would cause a heck of a back fire like this???
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 04:47:45 PM »
Gas fumes are heavier than normal air, and would tend to collect, probably forward of the axle pipe. Leaking fuel could have accumulated in a cylinder with an open exhaust valve. Just a guess.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

NHBandit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 02:30:43 PM »
Back in my young & foolish days we used to do this stuff on purpose. Only works with std transmissions of course. While driving down the road (especially fun under bridges and in tunnels) shut key off while still in gear & moving, pump the crap out of the gas pedal & then turn the key back on... Blew the mufflers completely off a 69 Mustang doing this once. Created quite a mess with having the mufflers & tailpipes wrapped around the rear axle & all....

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 04:52:17 AM »
Only works with std transmissions of course.
You can do that with automatics too.... :)
Kurt S
CRG

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 02:21:59 PM »
oh yeah, works with a automatic too!!!