Author Topic: Corvette bronze paint  (Read 12129 times)

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
Corvette bronze paint
« on: November 12, 2008, 10:24:53 PM »
A recent trip to the body shop paint supply shop revealed that I couldn't get my corvette bronze mixed in anything but laquer. I would like to use a PPG products in either a base/clear or enamel/clear. The paint code is OO and the Ditzler # is 22969. Does anyone have any info on the paint mixing in this color? Thanks in advance.
GM parts-tech. Polar Chevrolet White Bear Lake, Mn

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Corvette bronze paint
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:59:26 PM »
I never had a problem getting anything mixed. The tints used are different in a PPG DBC BC/CC system. The formula has to be converted from lacquer to DBC ( or the manufacturer of your choice). Perhaps the supply store saw the code calling for lacquer and did not want to do the conversion. Seems odd they would not help you, but not surprising.

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 05:51:10 PM »
The only way they could do it was to sell me a pint of the laquer, spray it on a panel and bring it back to them. Than they use an paint analizer- reader to get the correct mixing formula for base coat/clear coat.

Grsmnkey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 06:34:31 PM »
  Most paint manufacturers have a customer support line for their resellers.  There are two ways to get a mix formula, bring in a sample for the scanner and let them create the formula locally, or call the manufacturers support line and get a mix solution.   Yo can...go to another PBE who is willing to contact PPG, go to a corvette site and ask if anyone has a mix formula for color code 992 (this is OO) using PPG, or change paint products.
You can also check out this site     www.tcpglobal.com, call them...if they have a paint formula, then PPG does.

Mix solutions are not always available.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 06:40:23 PM by Grsmnkey »

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 08:19:30 PM »
  I called one of my suppliers to place an order. They sell Dupont. I asked about your OO paint (which is the origional color of my next build by the way). Mark said no problem. Code 4910K Chromabase. I then called my other supplier because I use DBC and they said no problem. Same answer I got 4 years ago about my MM. I've had different suppliers over the years and the answer is always the same: They call the library, get the formula and that's the end of it. I do nothing more than wait for the delivery. When I had a mixing system it was easier.
  Why your supplier will not get the formula I do not know. Perhaps they do not possess the knowledge or have little desire to do so.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 01:50:52 AM »
Get another supplier.

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 02:06:54 AM »
I've tried two different suppliers. They both gave the same answer. I would prefer to use PPG , As I've never had good results with DuPont products.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 02:20:46 AM »
I used BASF Glasurit base coat clear coat for my Dave Strickler Old Reliable Z28 when restoring it back in 1993.  We had no problem mixing the O-O paint back then.  It should not be a problem today either.  I should also mention that this paint still looks as good on the car today as it did 15 years ago.  Find a good BASF dealer in your area.

Jerry 

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 02:32:50 AM »
Thanks Jerry! I wish my 68 was as desirable as that Strickler z/28. I really like that color! I painted mine back in 1991 with garnet red (69 camaro color) with Delstar and cleared it with delglo and still looks as if i painted it yesterday! I now wish to repaint it the original corvette bronze. You just don't see them OO paint code cars to often.

69z28302

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 12:25:15 AM »
I was told the same thing from the ppg supplier. We got the correct Burnished Brown code 61 in Dupont Chroma BC/CC. My paint person said it was the best clear he has ever used.

Mike

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 03:41:32 AM »
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 08:06:52 PM »
Gary, Can you see if he has the paint mixing formula still?  Thanks in advance.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 11:24:11 PM »
Kueber,
    My next is a OO like yours. As I said, I've never had a problem getting paint and obviously neither has Jerry or others. Some places don't like non-accounts. You seem partial to PPG. I've shot PPG and others as well. 
    I need OO paint so I called the PPG library today and was given an offset as it is not available mixed with the tints in the system. If you've ever mixed on a system this would be clear. My MM is a direct mix -- OO is not. It's offset is PPG 61039. It is lighter than prime. May not even be enough to tell. Once again, if you ever look at variances on a system, new cars can have up to 3, 5 or more.
    You can have it mixed in DBU or DBC (the latter my preference but more $). DBC can do something helpful other paints cannot.
    Your other choice is to shoot a lacquer panel . Then shoot a 61039 panel and see what the difference is. No matter what they are chemically different and will lay down differently. But still, the tints are not the same anyway, this is why an offset is given. So now it's up to the man using the tints to darken the prime color first mixed. Keep in mind the lacquer was never cleared from the factory. And I'm not going to get into the principles of reflection and refraction. They will make the colors look different as well. The PPG libtrary phone # is 1-800-647-6050

anything