Author Topic: 67 SS Coupe  (Read 4668 times)

67SS/RSCONV

• View Profile
67 SS Coupe
« on: November 02, 2008, 08:34:20 AM »
All,
      I have a lead on a (10 year old restoration) 67 SS coupe.  The engine is a correct date code casting, but the guy who is selling it is pretty sure the block (not original) was decked and the VIN re-stamped for the car(he bought it after the restoration).  My question is, how does this affect the numbers matching/casting date value for this car.  Everything else seems correct so far except for the multi-leaf rear end and disc up front. 
      I would love to add a coupe to my collection, but already think the price is a little steep.  It needs work (better price), but can it really be classified as a numbers matching car?  I have read so many "opinions" on this, and this site definitly seems to be the place to get an answer.

Thanks,     Ron

68Zproject

• View Profile
Re: 67 SS Coupe
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 12:54:45 AM »
Re-stamping is noticeable and by definition is not original.  #'s matching by this site's standards, would mean the engine the car came with from the factory.  If it is not the "born with"  engine, it's not #'s matching.
68Z28

67SS/RSCONV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 06:47:18 PM »
Thanks.  I am still looking at a casting date correct car then but not numbers matching.  I researched "born with" and became a little more educated.  I am going to make an offer based on non-matching numbers and see where it goes....

It appears there are a lot of re-stamps out there or the term "born with" would not have come about.  I guess you have to be so carefull today, especially with the money some cars are bringing.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 02:36:24 AM »
  I guess you have to be so carefull today, especially with the money some cars are bringing.

You have to be very careful.  People on here can help a lot and if it's money you can't lose, you need to have Jerry look at it.
68Z28

67SS/RSCONV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 06:32:43 PM »
Thanks, this site has already been a huge help.  Like I said, I read several different opinions but was referred here.  I appreciate the advice and taking the time to reply.  If I decide to make an offer (trying not to insult really nice seller) it will be after getting more details on the car.  At least he was honest about the block.