Author Topic: 67 SS Coupe  (Read 4705 times)

67SS/RSCONV

• View Profile
67 SS Coupe
« on: November 02, 2008, 08:34:20 AM »
All,
      I have a lead on a (10 year old restoration) 67 SS coupe.  The engine is a correct date code casting, but the guy who is selling it is pretty sure the block (not original) was decked and the VIN re-stamped for the car(he bought it after the restoration).  My question is, how does this affect the numbers matching/casting date value for this car.  Everything else seems correct so far except for the multi-leaf rear end and disc up front. 
      I would love to add a coupe to my collection, but already think the price is a little steep.  It needs work (better price), but can it really be classified as a numbers matching car?  I have read so many "opinions" on this, and this site definitly seems to be the place to get an answer.

Thanks,     Ron

68Zproject

• View Profile
Re: 67 SS Coupe
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 12:54:45 AM »
Re-stamping is noticeable and by definition is not original.  #'s matching by this site's standards, would mean the engine the car came with from the factory.  If it is not the "born with"  engine, it's not #'s matching.
68Z28

67SS/RSCONV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 06:47:18 PM »
Thanks.  I am still looking at a casting date correct car then but not numbers matching.  I researched "born with" and became a little more educated.  I am going to make an offer based on non-matching numbers and see where it goes....

It appears there are a lot of re-stamps out there or the term "born with" would not have come about.  I guess you have to be so carefull today, especially with the money some cars are bringing.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 02:36:24 AM »
  I guess you have to be so carefull today, especially with the money some cars are bringing.

You have to be very careful.  People on here can help a lot and if it's money you can't lose, you need to have Jerry look at it.
68Z28

67SS/RSCONV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 06:32:43 PM »
Thanks, this site has already been a huge help.  Like I said, I read several different opinions but was referred here.  I appreciate the advice and taking the time to reply.  If I decide to make an offer (trying not to insult really nice seller) it will be after getting more details on the car.  At least he was honest about the block.

anything