Author Topic: vin #  (Read 8058 times)

allane

• View Profile
vin #
« on: October 22, 2008, 09:32:32 PM »
If someone were looking for a particular vin match and they found  the last 2 match and maybe the first of the last four numbers all match, could they safely assume this is the vin they are looking for?

JWC

• View Profile
Re: vin #
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 04:45:42 PM »
Lemme see if I understand correctly.

I find a VIN (for a '68 just for talking purposes).  It is 8N3xxxxx.

The last two numbers and the first of the last four numbers match.

So, it looks like this:  8N3x1x11 (I just picked 1, could be any other number).

Each 'x' can be any digit from 0 - 9.  So, there are 100 possible VIN's that could be created by replacing each 'x' with digits from 0 - 9.

It gets worse - when the VIN turns from 8N3xxxxx to 8N4xxxxx - I get another 100 possible VIN's (actually less, since the last VIN wasn't 8N499999).

So, do I have a VIN match with the last two numbers and the first of the last four numbers matching?

Probably not.

whitefeather

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 04:59:38 PM »
What your asking makes no sense at all.....   Are you trying to match a VIN number from a door tag to the stamped numbers on the body or a title or what????  If all the VIN number your looking for don't match exactly with any other VIN number, then you don't have a match at all, no matter what your asking.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 05:37:11 PM »
Where are you looking at these numbers? The VIN tga should be legible. If you are trying to read numbers stamped on the block, or tranny, post some photos. Some of these can be difficult to read, some of these have been restamped to make a car more valuable. There are people on this site who are good at identifing original stampings, and restamps.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

allane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 11:12:31 PM »
Where are you looking at these numbers? The VIN tga should be legible. If you are trying to read numbers stamped on the block, or tranny, post some photos. Some of these can be difficult to read, some of these have been restamped to make a car more valuable. There are people on this site who are good at identifing original stampings, and restamps.

There were 4 numbers found between the hood and the windshield. First was possibly a 3 or an 8, second was not legible, 3rd was a 4 and last was a 2.  The number to match was 3842. There were no other numbers anywhere on the vehicle except for the door post and firewall both of which match my title, but different from this set of four. The vehicle was seized by the police stating this was match enough to confiscate the vehicle.  I only had it about 2 months.
Any advice?

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 11:43:58 PM »
Get an attorney.  Maybe he or she can understand what you're trying to say.  I also believe you don't need to triple post it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 11:49:07 PM by WYKOFF69Z »
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 02:08:06 AM »
Is trhe seller still around?
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 04:14:53 AM »
I deleted his extra, duplicate posts.

What's the VIN? I'd have to see a pic of the cowl VIN. What about the heater VIN?
Kurt S
CRG

JL8Jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 01:38:52 PM »
What year car?  I'm guessing 67 if the VIN is on the door post.  Sounds like somebody took the VIN and title from a trashed car and put them on this body.  If the hidden VIN up on the cowl doesn't match the title, that's not a good sign.
1969 Z28 JL8 4 wheel disc brakes, #'s match - being restored

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 02:04:39 AM »
These stories always turn my guts.  I feel for you and the others.  If more people knew about this site and ones like TC this wouldn't happen as much and the crooks would have a lot harder time of it.
68Z28

anything