Author Topic: Looking for someone to cut custom radio bezel/wiper switch plate from aluminum  (Read 6505 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Hey guys,

I am looking for someone who would be able to custom cut from brushed aluminum a few small items for my 69 Camaro.  More specifically, a radio blockout plate, the plate that would go over the headlight/wiper switch area and finally a plate that could replace the clear lens on a heater controller.  Here is a pic of the Reggie Jackson Camaro that is close to what I would like to do.  IF anyone can do this or direct me to someone who can, please let me know.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/146833,12575,0,0/1969-Chevrolet-Reggie-Jackson-Camaro_Photo.aspx

Thanks,

Steve
sdkar@bellsouth.net

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
Try Fedtech.com in Minnesota. They do waterjet and laser cutting.
GM parts-tech. Polar Chevrolet White Bear Lake, Mn

sdkar

• View Profile
As a followup, I found this website.

http://www.undercoverinnovations.com/

Contact Derel for all of your needs.  They did a terrific job at making my custom dash stuff.  I even got a nice custome dash grab handle plate and heater/ac lens cover to match.  I will post pics when completed. 

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
Typically a laser cutting process will need to be completed before a brushed finish is applied. The edges will not be a nice finish if the material thickness is 1/4" or thicker. Thinner materials will have a sharper finish with less flashing. I have not used waterjet cutting outside of rubber sheeting so will not be commenting on it for use on aluminum or steel.

I recommend having your parts cut, finishing the edges and fitting the parts. After that is complete I would apply the brushed finish either by hand or by using a thickness sander. The sander will be very dificult to control for very small parts. Some machine shops may do a very good job while others may fail big time when it comes to quality. Make sure you specify which way the brushed finish should be facing. The aluminum will scratch very easily so I recommend clearing the parts when completed. If the brushing is too heavy without a clear, fuzz from towels will stick to the finish. Bare aluminum will also oxidize and become dull slowly over the course of a few years, and quicker if the parts come in contact with oil from skin.

If they use a pre-brushed material I recommend you use Stainless. It will not scratch as easily and will not oxidize. There are two series of Stainless readily available at most shops. 300 and 400 series stainless. 400 series has more impurities and will surface rust over time. 300 series is more expensive but will not rust. 300 is what should be used for a nice, long lasting appearance, that is a rigid finish, without a clear coat.
68 07D SS350
John

anything