Author Topic: 69 z/28 loses prime, any ideas?  (Read 4593 times)

Chris_Pisane

• View Profile
69 z/28 loses prime, any ideas?
« on: September 15, 2008, 05:35:39 PM »
First off I will say my 69 z has sat for nearly a year without driving it. Between the heating problems it had and other things going on with family, there wasnt much time to think about it.

I put a new radiator in today and it runs cool. Im happy with that. But when I went to start it, it needed a shot of gas down the carb to get it going. It ran ok idling, it seemed a little slow coming off  idle.It ran better than that when I parked it.

Now If you  let it sit for a half hour  it wouldnt start without a shot of gas,or carb cleaner down the carb. It is not flooding.It seems to be losing its prime.

Any ideas? Thanks
Chris Pisane....Fathom green 69 z/28 ,Lemans blue 69 JL8 Z/28 http://cpisane.photosite.com/

Chris_Pisane

• View Profile
Re: 69 z/28 loses prime, any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 06:14:59 PM »
Well, I just went back to the garage and it didnt start. Then I dedided to tap on the carb numerous times with the plastic end of a big screwdriver, especially on the front bowl. I hit the key it fired right up and ran perfect.

I guess the float was stuck.
Chris Pisane....Fathom green 69 z/28 ,Lemans blue 69 JL8 Z/28 http://cpisane.photosite.com/

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 12:44:43 AM »
your fuel pump may be going bad
also check your float level adjustment

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 02:32:09 PM »
You'll probably find some varnish on the needle and seat from sitting so long; remove it and clean it, or replace it. Mine sits in the garage for six months every winter without being started, and I haven't had any issues with it for eight years. I fill the float bowl through the vent tube every spring and it fires right up.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything