Author Topic: Restoration of the glove box door  (Read 4425 times)

emanuelK

• View Profile
Restoration of the glove box door
« on: August 31, 2008, 07:42:40 PM »
Hi all.
My problem: The glove box door is impossible to open unless at the moment I press the button also push my fingertops between the door and the dash and pulls it out. When I try to understand how this is figured out to work I realize I need help from you guys.

Tell me, is there a spring or something to overcome the force needed to push the button so the the door pops up or something? Any suggestions to fix this?

I also intend to paint the dash. It's black and I need to know if the original finish is black matt or shiny? Any recommendations on a suitable paint?

Thanks /Emanuel

gro51

• 68 SS/RS 350
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration of the glove box door
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 11:27:43 PM »
Emanuel - What year are we talking about?  I have the exact same problem with my '68 glove box.
Joe
Schodack, NY

'68 SS/RS 350, M21, 3:73, Rallye Green, Black Deluxe Interior

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 11:07:37 AM »
Open the door. Verify free movement of latching mechanism. Lubricate. Adjust striker plate.

emanuelK, Read this thread:
                                           http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=4235.0

Paint info. therin applies to dash top. Guidelines for dash face are different and should be semi-gloss.                                          
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 11:16:41 AM by Sauron327 »

emanuelK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:03:44 PM »
It's a 1967 convertibel.
I noticed that one of the rubber stops is missing and this may be a part of my problem.

Probably the rubber stops presets the glove box door under a pressure when closed. All it takes is a force from the rubber stops bigger than the force needed to push the button. (Wild quess).

I will check the link.

Thanks /Emanuel

Stillwater Camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 06:13:23 AM »
The missing rubber stop may help, but it may not cure it. My 67 is notorious for sticking too. I've tried setting the latch back farther to enhance the preload on the stops and sometimes it pops out and sometimes it don't. It's just like a female........does what it wants, when it wants.... :D
1967 Camaro SS/RS 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1970 Chevelle SS 396