Author Topic: 1969 Z28 engine build dates and cars build date spread time??  (Read 30956 times)

samanatoo

• 69 Z28 Hugger Orange/Orange Houndstooth
    • View Profile
1969 Z28 engine build dates and cars build date spread time??
« on: August 27, 2008, 12:05:41 AM »
My engines build date is May 29th, the blocks casting date is May 25th, the heads are cast May 26th. The stamp on the front machine pad looks legit V0529 DZ and all things fit the puzzle for the motor,  but my cars build date on the cowl tag is 08C, August 3rd week correct. The question is could it be possible that 60 to 80 day spread between engine build and cars build???  I have spoken to all previous owners and all state that the motor is the original one and forget about trying to read the numbers on that rough pad by the oil filter while the engine is still in the car! I have read enough questions and threads on that topic in this CRG forums.   So can it be?? Is 60 days too long?? How long did it take to get a finished motor from Flint to get to Norwood.  I am very sure my car is a real Z28 hugger orange on hugger orange houndstooth, but is the engine the original DZ motor?? Thanks for the help.       PS I have learned so much from this Forum it is sick and I appreciate all the information.

RJ_RS_SS_350

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Z28 engine build dates and cars build date spread time??
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 12:52:22 AM »
Let me just see if I got this straight. Your engine was built May 29 1969.  Your car body began August week 3, 1969. Your rear axle was built Nov. 29th, 1968?  ???

samanatoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 01:56:21 AM »
Yes, that is correct. Th block is a 3970010 casting number,  cast date is May 25th. The heads are casting number 3921786, correct for the DZ 1969 motor and are casting date May26th, so the heads sound right for the engine build.  also while the engine was rebuilt and balanced the internals are all correct parts and specs as well.  I have all specs on the report for the engine work.  I figured the trans and rear axle are not original, but the motor?????  seams like it is.  car has original smog equipment, seven blade fan with clutch, deep gruve pulleys, intake is winters 3932472. The car recieved a very high end and very correct restoration a few years ago.  The  car is an X33 car with endura front bumper and cowl hood,  bllack top, black stripes,  rosewood wheel. The original owner verified that he ordered the car this way as well.   I am just trying to get to know everything about the car and there seems to be alot a views and variations of chevy builds.  If the motor was built after the cars build or 5 to 6 months prior to the car build it would then be a  be a no brainer!!!!!!!!!!!

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 03:30:39 PM »
Did you ask the previous owners if they have the P.O.P. ?
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 06:56:23 PM »
How about part no.'s and date codes on the other related parts, ie distributor, carb, water pump, alternator, starter, power steering, etc. How do these correlate? I think I'd really be trying to read the VIN near the oil filter.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

samanatoo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 12:47:30 AM »
The block has one fresh cote of paint on it since the engine build witch was performed 3 years ago. I removed most of the paint and can still  see no numbers, the previous owner tried to find some as well before and after the machine shop worked on the motor, but could not find any and with the motor in the car pretty tough as other members have stated near impossible. I will check other codes as well. The power steering is the quick ratio unit, the intake is correct, the carb is correct as well, but everything in the car is a very high end restored conours level.  The car has all original sheetmetal and pans etc. Caliofornia car most of it's life so all metal is original. Deep gove pulleys and 7 blade fan, radiator is not original but is the 21 inch core 3 rows,  Wher can I find dates on the alternator and water pump?? does smog equipment have dates??                      I was just told by other people who know these cars that as long as the engine casting dates are within a few months time before the cars build sounds right and should be the original motor,  but some people say the norm is 1 to 6 weeks.   So it seems nothing is set in stone and I am not going to pull my engine out and tear it apart. I have plenty of previuos owner docs and pics and history of the car to know what it is and the car has all original metal even original endura front bumper.      I guess case closed and appreciate all the help.                                 

Just for the record the car is a X33 D80 car, Hugger Orange with orange hounds tooth interior, black vinyl top, endura front bumper, power steering, console tach, cowl hood, blue light radio, rosewood wheel, chambered exhaust, black stripes of course.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 02:09:21 AM »
How about some photos of the engine stampings,
Jerry

samanatoo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 03:13:53 AM »
I will try to get a chance to pull off the alternator and get a good picture of the pad tomarrow Jerry.  I removed all the paint on the pad near the oil filter and looked at it for awhile with a LED light and  also using a mirror at different angles and shades but I can not see any thing sometimes I get a glimpes of an N or poss. a 1 but I really think it is my eyes playing tricks. I do not see anything I will try to get a good pic of the machined pad and the numbers for you to check out.  With the original owner today, Craig Shoemaker, on the phone he reconfermed a few options on the car. It did not have chamber exhaust, but did have the cowl induction, power steering,  console, endura front bumper, he was not sure what a blue light radio was?? I was told from the 3rd owner it had a blue light radio when new. Craig could not remember if it had the rosewood wheel, 40 years ago was awile ago. He is trying to scan some poloroids of the car exterior and interior shots he has of the car when he owned it,  pretty cool!!!!  Thanks for all the help.

samanatoo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 08:06:35 PM »
Hey Jerry I am having trouble loading the pics in the attachments with thge thread,  any suggestions or do you have a direct email I can send photos to?? thanks i have pics of the cowl tag and the numbers on the front pad Thanks!!

samanatoo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 09:15:56 PM »
Here are the numbers off the back of the alternator

110077 554
  9 E 16    12VNEG 

How do you decode the date and model number   Does 9  E  16  means May 16 1969??

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 10:19:22 PM »
You're missing a number in the code, but either way, it's not a Camaro alternator. 1100770 is a Pontiac application, 1100774 is a Buick application, and 1100777 is an Oldsmobile application.

Yes, 9E16 is a date of May 16th, 1969.

Ed

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 02:22:56 AM »
Send to z28camaroman@juno.com and I'll take a look.

thanks,

Jery

samanatoo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 12:57:55 PM »
well what is the part nmber for the camaros?  I will have to take the alternator off again to get a closer look, the pics I took I can not see the last number that you are talking about. Thanks  It looks like it could be a 7, but I would hav eto take it off again to make sure.

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 03:36:53 PM »
Part number 1100837 for the alternator and 1970831 for the pulley.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

samanatoo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 10:17:32 PM »
Thanks for the alternator info.   

Can you asist on the distributor  decode as well?  here are the numbers   4 I 8  0841111   ??      I was told from that the intake and distributor were sent out to Jerry to get reworked.   

anything