Author Topic: Help! Painting Monday!!!....I can't find the correct info to do this right......  (Read 17221 times)

Brandan

• 1969 Camaro SS 396 X-66 M22
    • View Profile
    • 1969 Camaro 396 SS M22
Hey guys, we are going to start the actual paint process on Monday.  It looks like my "parole" from paint prison has been granted! Yeah! 

Anyhow.  I was going over how and what to paint on the car and have a few areas that I am not sure about.  The car is an original butternut yellow 1967 RS conv. with custom buckets code, small block 327. 

I have a few areas that I can't find info on. ???

1.)  I know that the RS rocker panels were black (depending on what the original car color was) and the the 6 piece trim goes above the black rockers.  What color black is acceptable?  30% 60% gloss, chasis black?  Also, more importantly, how does the original paint blend on the inside of the door to the rocker?

2.)  The trunk will eventually get spatter paint.  Black/Aqua is what I came up with for 1967.  What is under the Black/Aqua spray in the trunk area?  black primer?  Also I have read on this site that the shakers do not get spatter.  Then I read in Hoopers book that they are spattered.  Confused on this one. ???

3.)  The outside of the fenders will be butternut yellow.  What were the inside  fenders painted?  Were they painted or just primed?  Should there be overspray on the prime or paint inside the fender?  If there is overspray, how much?  If you have pictures, they might help.  I am leaning to keeping it in black primer.

4.)  The hood is black on the inside and the yellow paint will go, of course, on the outside.  How much overspray is there on the inside, underneath the hood?  or is it a clean cut?

5.)  The car was not a deluxe interior.  So the top of the doors and the dash will need to be painted.  What was the color?  I have a black interior and was thinking tuxedo black for those two areas.  Also above the dash, under the windshield, was that a flatter black to reduce glare?  I know that the dash pad would transition the tuxedo black to the flatter black to look better.

6.)  The top cowl panel vents between the windshield and the hood.  Should that be entirely yellow or is there some black primer visible?  I know the top panel should be yellow but the panel underneath it is where I am unsure. 

Well that is it for now.  I got the call Friday AM that they were ready to finish the paint so that is why this is last minute.  I am trying to get this thing back to original as possible.  I will post some pictures when we are done.

Hopefully I can get some answers here.  Thanks for the help in advance!!!

Brandan-
Check out the 1969 ride!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676916/1

Check out the new project!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2960049

Sauron327

• View Profile
  Try that red rectangle at the top of the page to help narrow your search. Use the words in your questions to do a keyword search in the search option. Past posts can be tremendously helpful. Print the pertinent info. and hand it to your painter so there is no discrepency This should help you answer some of your Q's for your cramming for the final. I'm sure by the end of day your situation will be resolved.

gro51

• 68 SS/RS 350
    • View Profile
Hope these pics help with question # 1 :

Joe
Schodack, NY

'68 SS/RS 350, M21, 3:73, Rallye Green, Black Deluxe Interior

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
1) Gloss black from the spear mounting holes down. The portion of the rockers under the car were left body color.

2) What ever primer was used for the car was under the trunk spatter. No spatter on the shakers.

3) The fenders were edged in body color; if you could see it, it was painted - the brace in the engine bay and the inner edge of the door jamb.

4) Hoods were black dip-prime underneath; some light body color overspray along the edges.

5) All hard interior surfaces should be black but not full gloss. The top of the dash was painted with a suede additive that produced a wrinkled non-glare surface.

6) The entire top of the cowl should be body color. The firewall blackout was done afterwards. When the blackout was applied they usually used a metal mask placed on top of the cowl to keep paint off the car. This left a feathered edge of black paint along the top of the firewall, not a masking-tape sharp line seen so often today.
Learning more and more about less and less...

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Why are you showing '68 RS rocker paint photos? '67s were different.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
I don't believe 67's had suede dash tops... I believe they were just flattened...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Sauron327

• View Profile
The generals must have a lot on the plate today too. They didn't have a suede texture. That full gloss assessment again. Interior: Have them cross PPG 9266 ( industry standard semi-gloss) if they don't shoot that brand. If they have black lacquer in their mixing system they will know the aspects of full gloss lacquer.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Nope, 67 dash tops were suede. Our blue interior Z/28 was; I had a rattle-can mixed in lacquer and it was a perfect match.

Brandan

• View Profile
    • 1969 Camaro 396 SS M22
Great guys we are well on our way on this discussion!!  I was leaning towards no spatter on the shakers and bolts.  (Hooper's book calls for spatter??? thus the question).

Also the inside of the fender leaning towards slight overspray on the primed side.

The rockers kind of like the picture above, thanks for posting that pic. btw.

The cowl vent explanation above was kind of the way I was going to do it just want to be sure before next week.

As for the top of the dash I am leaning towards a flatter black than the forward dash and top of doors (semi gloss?)

Keep it coming guys.... your input is greatly appreciated ;)

Brandan-

Brandan

• View Profile
    • 1969 Camaro 396 SS M22
oh yeah and I feel like I am cramming for a final exam.......Ahh the good 'ole days of college life......

I hope I get a passing grade, ha ha

gro51

• 68 SS/RS 350
    • View Profile
Why are you showing '68 RS rocker paint photos? '67s were different.

Sorry. My mistake.  Disregard the photos in reply #2.
Joe
Schodack, NY

'68 SS/RS 350, M21, 3:73, Rallye Green, Black Deluxe Interior

Sauron327

• View Profile
 I stand corrected. The 5 stars know more than I. Why then didn't the '67 code 717 I parted out not have a textured dash? The car was parked in the 70's w/ 34K after it got popped in the nose. This car was never taken apart. A search finds someone(Mark?} stating they were usually painted suede. What does that mean? Because I would like to paint my black dash if this is correct.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
I know for sure 68-69 used suede... but I was under the impression that the non glare surfaces didn't come around till 68.
67's had chrome A pillars, convt's had chrome headers and sunvisor brackets whereas 68's had satin finished headers and interior colored A pillars. I just assumed all of this changed at the same.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Sauron327

• View Profile
My 67, origionally 717 standard had non-chrome A-pillars and the one I junked had chrome pillars/deluxe gut.  I just have never seen a suede 67 and want to know why. I have not had a 68 of my own since '82. Going to get one sorry uncut one in a month and I'll be curious about dash.  Thanx.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Any horizontal painted surface is going to deterioriate after 40 years of exposure to the elements. Our 67 Z/28 had been in storage most of its life - it was suede.

anything