Author Topic: tranny/shifter help- update  (Read 7721 times)

COflyer67

• View Profile
tranny/shifter help- update
« on: August 01, 2008, 08:59:55 PM »
Hi guys- got shifter/rods adjusted to correct lengths; shifter works fine. Still have “clunk” coming out of second. Took back to tranny guy- sez noise is not normal, but doesn’t know what’s causing it. Offered to rebuild tranny again (3rd time). I told him that we shouldn’t do that unless we have a good idea what is causing the problem first. He had replaced all the synchros and second gear last time and said everything else looked good. Anybody heard of this problem before/have any ideas what’s causing this? anybody?? cheers- pete

Racerdan

• View Profile
Re: tranny/shifter help- update
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 01:33:11 AM »

Sounds like trans guy is missing something.  There is no clunk when it is built right.

Check end play on the gears, you usually have a shim, and sometimes have to add some to get correct end play.  Shims only come in the kit if you order them with shims.

Wish you were near my shop you could bring it in and we could fix it. 

We just tore apart our rock crusher in our 69 Z-28 Race Car today, and found our end shim almost completely gone.  The end of the gear was rubbing into the case.  These shims can and do wear out, especially if you are racing or doing hard shifts.   

If neccessary, you could ship it to me....

Racer Dan

COflyer67

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 03:18:01 PM »
hi racer dan-  thanks for the tip; we're looking for any/all possibilities. i agree that something is being missed and i think the tranny guy thinks so also, although doesn't know what. i'll run this by him. he's still on the hook to make it right. anything else come to mind that could be causing this?  i'm located in the four corners region of colorado so assume i'm not close to you.  cheers-  pete

COflyer67

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 05:04:57 PM »
Well- I’ve talked with everyone in the local area about the clunk coming out of second, including the tranny guy again. He sez on last rebuild everything looked good and end play was ok and had installed a new second gear. Only other thoughts were that the new second gear was mislabeled/mismanufactured/incorrect or there is a problem with third gear as the tranny is coming out of second. Everyone sez they’ve never heard of this before- ‘tiz a puzzlement. Am holding off rebuilding the tranny again ‘til someone has a good idea what’s happening. Anybody???    cheers- pete

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 05:23:25 PM »
...sure it's not the U-joints?
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

COflyer67

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 03:23:07 PM »
hi rich- have driven car with cover plates to tranny off. can see/feel/hear tranny directly- mystery noise is definitly coming from inside the tranny. would love to tell tranny guy to have at it again, but without a good suspect am afraid of coming up with same result. thanks for the suggestion; anything helps.  cheers-  pete

Racerdan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 02:21:45 AM »
There is a thrust washer between the case and the end of the gear cluster, to keep the gear cluster from shifting back and forth and it will bang into the case if it is worn out or missing.  Other than that, I would have to look at the trans to see what is doing it.  I am in Des Moines, IA, a little far to go.

Is this trans and motor combination original?  I know if you try to match up a different trans and motor combination, you have to check alignment of the bell housing, or it will give you all kinds of trans issues, including popping out of gear.  Tolerances are supposed to be pretty tight on the bell housing alignnment.

Racer Dan

COflyer67

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 03:38:17 PM »
hi racerdan-  thanks for the tip; i'll run it by the tranny guy. yeah iowa is a bit far. motor and tranny are original. majority of the whole car is original; have owned it since new. thanks-  pete

anything