Author Topic: Exterior mirror ?  (Read 13050 times)

ss_67_rs

• View Profile
Exterior mirror ?
« on: July 24, 2008, 07:50:29 PM »
I know that my car only came with one door mirror but it is rectangular and not round. All the pix I've seen of other cars have round, can any of you shed some light on what would be correct or did they change to round shape on later cars. Mine is November 66.
Thanks  Nigel     ???
Gettin harder to own a ''Gas Guzzler'' these days with all the carbon footprint hype !!! So I thought i'de better have two ;^) Gotta Vortec Blazer too ....... Life's a beach - party while you can     >Nigel<

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: Exterior mirror ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 12:05:53 AM »
67 used round bowtie mirrors.  The rectangular mirror came with the 68 model change.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

qwertyme77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 02:28:53 AM »
the mirrors on the 67 (round) are swept back to clear the vent wings. the 68 (recangular) are swept forward.

rare4k

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 03:39:00 AM »
NOT ALL 67 had the BOWTIE,  I believe most didn't, they are the round mirror with NO BOWTIE

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 03:09:41 PM »
No 67 had a bowtie mirror. These were discontinued in very late 1965 (early in the 1966 model year).

Ed

ss_67_rs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 03:21:54 PM »
Thank you for your replies. The reason I asked is, I saw a pair of round 67/68 Firebird /Camaro mirrors on ebay in the UK . Anyway I was outbid and it was probably for the best coz to expect the correct mirrors for my pride and joy would be pushing it. So on the positive side I've saved myself £67.50  about $135.00  :D
Thanks again for your help...........
   Nigel
Gettin harder to own a ''Gas Guzzler'' these days with all the carbon footprint hype !!! So I thought i'de better have two ;^) Gotta Vortec Blazer too ....... Life's a beach - party while you can     >Nigel<

Brandan

• 1969 Camaro SS 396 X-66 M22
    • View Profile
    • 1969 Camaro 396 SS M22
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 03:45:24 PM »
For some reason I didn't think any first gens came with bow tie mirrors......
Check out the 1969 ride!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676916/1

Check out the new project!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2960049

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 04:19:13 PM »
I definitely stand corrected...!  (As do Miller and Hooper...)  ;D

Nigel, do you have to pay something like the VAT on stuff entering the UK?  That Ebay price is about £17.50 above our retail.  With the low value of the $ now, I'm wondering if you might order over here.  (I've done some work in Fareham and Bournemouth over the last several years and could only find one First Generation Camaro, a white 67, about 50 miles NW of Fareham.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 04:25:10 PM by lakeholme »

ss_67_rs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 07:04:32 PM »
Believe it or not that price I quoted was from a private seller and I can't be sure if they were new or used. Any way it would have been a bit of a knee jerk purchase and in hindsight I would and am in the process of buying some from a vendor in the USA (fingers crossed). Regarding the VAT Phillip over the last 25ish years I've purchased lots of auto parts, sometimes when they turn up at my door the postman/delivery man wants money for Customs/duty/VAT and other times I  receive the parcel and pay nothing. There seems to be no deffinate policy or just bad management. I'm not to far from Fareham about 70 miles, so if you wanna see a very tidy 67 look me up and we'll have a beer ;D

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 07:37:25 PM »
Tempting offer....  ;D
But unless petrol prices go down and the dollar goes up, it will be 2010 before I can justify the trip through work.  :'(
Post us a picture of that "tidy 67", please.  8)

Here's that 67 I saw.  In case you haven't, it's at the Hayes Motor Museum:

COflyer67

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 09:42:48 PM »
hi nigel- i just found my original '67 RS convertible mirror. body only/mirror portion long gone. 4 5/8" diameter, round, no bowtie on outside. 1 1/4" long bowtie on inside (under where mirror would cover up). hope this helps-  pete

ss_67_rs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 07:20:36 PM »
Gee's  Phillip
I've struggled big time to get pix to download so apologies to you all. I will get the hang of it please just bare with me .If these come out OK I'll tell you about the car and explain why it looks like a kick back from the 70s.

ss_67_rs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 07:29:18 PM »
Hi Pete
Thanks for that info . It has helped to validate the research and info gathered from all the guys on the forum, that round is the answer and no visible bowtie. I am gonna go for one either side. Its unorthadox but I miss a mirror on the right so much when I drive. Plus my 67 is not a resto.....YET!

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 08:55:18 PM »
Nigel,

Yes, Interesting paint job.  I'd like to hear the story behind it.  So, are you planning to bring it back to original?

ss_67_rs

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 04:21:19 PM »
Hi Philip
 I am gonna post a link to a blog I've started as I feel I have strayed away from the CRG Forum ''Originality'' section heading. So if you or any other forum member wish to view the blog to see the car, I have tried to start a sort of diary and story about the car hence the name Camaro Chronicals. By the way Phillip I have never been to the Haynes Museum, in fact I'de never heard of it but I will endevour to get there and see all the cars they have on show apparently its around 380.
All the best  :)
         Nigel
        http:1967firstgen-rs-ss-camaro.blogspot.com/

ps Just thought I would add we are currently paying $10 a gallon for gas and thats just come down in price .............  :-\