Author Topic: Convertible top problem  (Read 3769 times)

emanuelK

• View Profile
Convertible top problem
« on: July 06, 2008, 03:06:57 PM »
Hi all.
I have a problem with my convertible top on my 1967. It's a petty this problem because when I bought the car the seller (American Dream Machines in Des Moines) claimed the top to be new and it was. The problem is that the top is mounted "too short". I mean first of all it's close to OK on the driver side but on the passenger side it should travel 1 inch more in order to obtain the sealing between the weather strip on top and the front window frame. I also have gaps (about ½”) between the top and the front door vent windows.

When I analyzed the car more in detail I saw they put an extra bit of rubber where the rear passenger side window will meet weather-strip on the top in order to hide the problem. I removed it and having now a gap close to 1". I got really depressed that such a lousy job was done. This was just one of about 10 different problems with the car, but this is another story.

So my problem now is I can’t drive the car when it rains because of all water flooding the interior.

Question:
Is there a way to save the existing top by a fine tune of the assembly?
Does anybody have some images how the rear attachment of the top to the chassis is?
Any instructions available how this is assembled?

I have the original Chevrolet camaro factory assembly instruction, but it shows nothing of this topic.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks /Emanuel

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Convertible top problem
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 03:25:43 PM »
Emanuel

You might consider obtaining the "1967 Fisher Body Service Manual".  One of the sections discusses the "Folding Top" in detail.

Steve

emanuelK

• View Profile
Re: Convertible top problem
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 09:10:24 PM »
Thanks, I will buy that one.
Still, nobody having any pictures of a top job  ;D

anything