Author Topic: Clutch Release Bearing Gouges  (Read 4614 times)

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
Clutch Release Bearing Gouges
« on: July 04, 2008, 04:14:46 PM »
Can anyone help me figure out what caused the two gouges pictured on my Federal Mogul 1697 clutch release bearing? The gouges are located at the two points where the release fork contacts the bearing collar. The bearing has been in my 68 Camaro 3 speed for 10 years and has 20,000 miles on it. I removed the bearing from the car to inspect it because I had the transmission out; the bearing didn't give any problems when driving the car. I still have the original GM bearing that has 95,000 miles on it which has no gouges whatsoever. A second question; when I press on the face of the bearing, the part that contacts the clutch fingers, and spin it, it turns smoothly and quietly. However, if I spin the face without applying pressure, it drags and is noisy. Is this normal? Thanks for any help that can be provided. Joe.

L78 steve

• View Profile
Re: Clutch Release Bearing Gouges
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 05:34:33 AM »
Looks like to me the bearing has been in contact with the clutch fingers constantly while driving.Add free play or do you drive with your foot on the clutch pedal ?
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Release Bearing Gouges
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 10:57:28 PM »
I've never seen that condition on a throwout bearing - there's no rotation involved, so I'd suspect soft material or a bad heat-treat on the rear half of the bearing. Here's what it looks like in cross-section.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything