Author Topic: Guage cluster codes  (Read 15663 times)

jeffschevelle

• View Profile
Guage cluster codes
« on: July 04, 2008, 03:55:11 AM »
I have a gas guage problem in a 67, which I've been working on and think I've got figured out.  But something else came up during the debugging.  The car is a standard speedo cluster car with only speedo, fuel gauge and idiot lights.  It has a set of add-on guages under the dash, so somebody removed the bulbs from the idiot lights to disable them. 

But when I had the flashlight under the dash, I can see that the speedo has the "Fuel" warning light that should only be on a guage/tach car.

So either the speedo has been replaced with the wrong one (most likely), or the entire cluster has been changed but somebody stuck the old gas guage back in the tach hole (not as likely).

The cluster housing has an NH sticker on the back of it.  Can anyone tell me if that is the code for the standard non-guage cluster, or is it the code for the speedo/tach cluster?   If it is the standard cluster, then I just need to change the film in the fuel light hole.  If it is for the guage/tach cluster then I probably just need to get a whole correct cluster and start over.

Thanks for any help - Jeff

68Zproject

• View Profile
Re: Guage cluster codes
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 01:44:30 PM »
If I get a chance I will look and see if I can see mine from underneath the dash.  Also, you will want to keep that fuel film.  I don't think they repop them.  Mine is OK but has a few micro cracks in it and I wouldn't mind a better one if you decide to not keep yours.
68Z28

67 kemie ss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 09:47:02 AM »
Not sure if I'm helping but here's my 2 cents. 

My 67 is a U17 car (tach and gauges) and my carrier is original.  The broadcast code on it is NK. That said, mine is an SS350 car, so I don't know if that code changes with the tach redline or not.  For example, my redline is 5.5., but a 327 car will generally have a 5K redline. 

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 10:11:31 AM »
Good morning Jeff!!! I have a standard '67 Camaro dash pod in front of me with the basic speedo / fuel guage and idiot lights.. If I can help, where do you want me to look, and, if you'd like a pic.  let me know...   Ted

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 04:16:21 AM »
The cluster housing has an NH sticker on the back of it.  Can anyone tell me if that is the code for the standard non-guage cluster, or is it the code for the speedo/tach cluster? 
NH is a tach dash.
Kurt S
CRG

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 09:46:43 AM »
Hi Kurt S!!!  I have the 67 cluster housing in front of me...  It is the non tach version.. On the back I have the printed circuit with the last two numerics 67.. Prior number(s) alphae are illegible... In the middle of the printed circuit, there is 6290070 and below that is a PED-1...  The housing is numbered in the lower left hand corner 6457863. In the lower right hand corner there is a fairly large number "2" imprinted maybe 1/2" tall.. On the top of the metal part of the casing there was a sticker which is gone. I can still see the outline which is maybe 1 inch tall by 3 inches wide.. 
All the push-in lights have numbers on black plastic as viewed from the rear...
Anywhere else that could help, just ask!!!   Ted

jeffschevelle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 03:13:58 AM »
NH is a tach dash.

My 67 is a U17 car (tach and gauges) and my carrier is original.  The broadcast code on it is NK. That said, mine is an SS350 car, so I don't know if that code changes with the tach redline or not.  For example, my redline is 5.5., but a 327 car will generally have a 5K redline. 

So is NH the 5K redline tach cluster and NK the 5.5K tach cluster??

Thanks  -

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 05:29:16 AM »
I don't have enough the redlines in front of me.
I know that the NH cluster is black, NK is blue. Both are gauge clusters.
Kurt S
CRG

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 01:09:31 AM »
Well, I tried to look under my dash until I got gut cramps.  I guess some sit ups are in order.  My inner housing looks to be blue and my sticker looked like it said NI or NJ.  Mine is a 6k tach.  Is there something on this in the CRG pages?
68Z28

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 07:55:49 PM »
The color I mention is the dash color.
Maybe yours is NL?
Try taking a pic of it, sometimes that works out a lot better.
Kurt S
CRG

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 12:07:26 AM »
Kurt, the dash color?  I checked mine again and I'm 99% sure it says NL in orange or red letters.  Pics won't work under the dash.  Maybe if I have to take it out sometime.  I'm kind of curious about this, as I think someone put a tach and console in this car.  I really need to find a PO to see what came on this car originally.  I'm hoping this code could be used to see if the whole pod was changed or if it's a non-tach pod and just had that put in.
68Z28

RonM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 03:24:39 AM »
I looked at the cluster out of my 68, it has an NL code with a 5K tach. Hope this helps, RonM.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 02:15:16 AM »
I don't think the dash code is related to the tach redline, but I need to dig to prove that.

Harvard,
Does the console have rivnuts holding it in place (gotta look at the floorpan to see them)?
Kurt S
CRG

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 02:21:40 PM »
On midyear ('63-'67) Corvettes, the cluster broadcast code label relates to varying combinations of the speedo (with/without speedwarning), tach redline (5300, 6000, or 6500), and oil pressure gauge (60 vs. 80 psi).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 07:17:13 PM »
On GTO's the code relates to the different components installed as well...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

anything