Author Topic: 1969 camaro sunroof?  (Read 14373 times)

bowtie

• View Profile
1969 camaro sunroof?
« on: June 30, 2008, 01:02:17 AM »
Any help please...We were at a local car show and saw a '69 Camaro that had a slider sunroof cut in. The job appeared to be very professional, roof and top both had rolled edges and headliner was of equal quality of installation. The roof did not crank or lift up, it would just unlatch and slide back. This appeared nicer than a backyard type ofjob. Was wondering if anybody has ever heard of something like this that was possibly dealer installed or possibly sublet out to a jobber, such as Hurst.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you, Jeff

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: 1969 camaro sunroof?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 01:09:58 AM »
Actualy I think there was a first gen a couple years ago with t-tops. The ad claimed it was a prototype. In the photos the work looked well done, but I doubt the prototype hype.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 12:46:34 PM »
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 12:52:06 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

bowtie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 01:42:15 PM »
i know about the sunshine special cars made by hurst. but this car had a metal sliding sunroof, not the cloth retractable type that hurst used on the prototype 70 camaro & then used on the nova, omega & applo cars.

this reminded me of a 70's jaguar with a metal roof panel sun roof. (not glass) this wasnt a restored car by any means, just a "fair" driver. it made me curious....any ideas??

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 05:26:17 PM »
A family member bought a 68 Z28 (early 80's)that had been stolen in its past life, motor and trans where taken had a 327 with at turbo charger, turbo 400 trans replacements. It spent sometime as a show car and had the same style sunroof installed. The sunroof retracted into the headliner via a handcrank, when closed was flush the exterior roof. Very proffesional job, at distance looking across the roof it was diffucult to see the sunroof. I don't know who installed it, car was black lacquer at the time and straight no butcher job. I believe the car is back with the original owner with a 427/4sp we installed after removing the mouse motor.

PS:  the 327/turbo and 400 trans was sold to a airman at Andrew Air force Base. Full body 79 Camaro was unbeatable on the street, stock 10.25 cast pistons steel crank 5200 stall converter 4:88s and alcohol ,but when it exploded nothing and I mean nothing was salvageable.

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
here is an interesting link to a 67 Camaro they claim is "custom built by General Motors of France believed to be the only one built for the Paris Auto Show in 1967 The first year of the Camaro General Motors installed slidding sunroof rear windshield wiper grab bar on dash yellow headlights and fog lights door marker lights inside door jamb L30-327-275 4bbl with dual exhaust "

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showpost.php?pid/1301165/

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 05:23:05 AM »
Some 67-68 European Camaros did get factory sunroofs. I've seen several.
Kurt S
CRG

exportcorvette

• View Profile
    • imageevent/exportcorvette
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 12:58:35 AM »
Any help please...We were at a local car show and saw a '69 Camaro that had a slider sunroof cut in. The job appeared to be very professional, roof and top both had rolled edges and headliner was of equal quality of installation. The roof did not crank or lift up, it would just unlatch and slide back. This appeared nicer than a backyard type ofjob. Was wondering if anybody has ever heard of something like this that was possibly dealer installed or possibly sublet out to a jobber, such as Hurst.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you, Jeff
Export Corvette/ Jimmy Hurt

exportcorvette

• View Profile
    • imageevent/exportcorvette
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 01:02:00 AM »
To comment on the sunroof issue: I have conducted a research survey on  1953-1982 Corvettes exported around the world by General Motors. All built in the USA and most are fitted with a second GM ID tag, AKA, homologation plate. These second ID tags identify the GM plant where the Corvettes were modified to meet local road and safety regulations. Over the last 25 plus years of research I have collected data and photos of about 75 Corvettes. Along with the Corvette info came some miscellaneous Camaro information on 4 Euro versions. Three are from France GM and the following from Antwerp Belgium.  I received 2 color photos and the following information on a 1967 Camaro assembled in the Antwerp GM plant. Per your group, I understand GM assembled the Camaro from CKD kits. This Camaro is reported to have a homologation tag which states Antwerp Belgium. The tag is attached at the cowl area on the passenger side door. The is no USA vin tag. This information came to me from a lady named Robin from Rhode Island, USA. She and her family are the second owners buying the car in 1980 in Europe and later shipping it back to the states. She reports: original color is Silver, no vinyl top. Factory metal painted retractable steel sunroof.  No glass or vinyl to the sunroof. The silver on the rally rims matches the body color. Drive train is 250/straiht 6, 4 speed Saginaw with original Muncie shifter. Disc brakes, original spare 7:35 Tyre Uniroyal. Speedo lens reads 0 to 200. Also fold down rear seat (standard), black interior with consol, special rear view mirror. Please visit this site for 70 interesting export Corvette pictures. http://imageevent.com/exportcorvette/exportcorvette/exportcorvettehistory
Export Corvette/ Jimmy Hurt