Author Topic: 67 Fuse Block Repair  (Read 13847 times)

qwertyme77

• View Profile
67 Fuse Block Repair
« on: June 19, 2008, 01:23:34 AM »
My fuse block has fuse clips that are rusty and I am worried about circuit failure due to the rust. I am an industrial electrician and have access to some very expensive wire crimping tools and I was hoping to be able to find a supplier so I can replace all my rusted fuse clips.
Every harness I see at swap meets have the same problem mine has with rusted clips.

Does anyone know who the oem supplier for the wiring harnesses were, or where i can get these fuse clips?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 67 Fuse Block Repair
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 03:15:24 PM »
Packard Electric Division of GM was the original supplier, but they haven't made parts for decades. Lectric Limited (www.lectriclimited.com) has a '67 Camaro fuse block repair kit (their #34625, photo below), and I think M&H (www.wiringharness.com) does too.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 01:51:20 AM »
Have you considered giving the clips a good soaking in something like Wurth's Contact Ol?
Worked like a charm on mine...
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

qwertyme77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 02:05:53 AM »
Have you considered giving the clips a good soaking in something like Wurth's Contact Ol?
Worked like a charm on mine...

haven't heard of that stuff, is it anything like the spay contact cleaner that we use at work? ours is fast evaporating, light cleaning. (home depot sells it too), i am not talking about the tuner/contact cleaner that radio shack sells. my block is so rusty that i'm afraid that any king of sanding or caustic cleaner will take any outer plating off down to the base metal.

it just seemed like it would have been easier to replace the clips with new, but i haven't been able to find them separately.

ps, where could i find this Wurth's Contact Oil?

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 01:01:25 PM »
I,ve got a friend who runs an auto electrical specialty shop who first showed it to me.  He uses it especially on cars that have sat for years.  I used it on my 68 which had sat for  years, much of that time outside and so the contacts, etc. were corroded.  It cleaned the contacts well and electically made it hum like a new car. He gets it from one of his suppliers.
This is just an example of a web site that sells it:
http://www.international-auto.com/index.cfm/fa/p/pid/2763/sc/8140

I suggested "soaking" because you said they were badly corroded. 

BTW, there was a dsicussion about new clips on Team Camaro in Jan.  They couldn't find them either.  One guy said his were so bad, he cleaned them and then replated them...
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 01:42:29 PM »
 Are you aware of or have you ever used electrolysis? Works great. All you need is a battery charger. Has replaced sandblasting of many parts for me. Parts don't have to be laboriously done in my cabinet blaster anymore. Or larger parts With my larger blaster for that matter. Set up and walk away. Saves on overhead. Tic-Toc.$$. Works on small parts such as your F. Block as well. Try it out on anything rusty lying around to get the feel for it. Multiple websites for instructions. "Electrolysis" or "Battery Charger De-rusting"  A NON-AGGRESSIVE PROCEDURE. The word "sandblasting" certainly implies the opposite.

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 04:13:16 AM »
You can also take the fuse block apart, clean and de-rust the clips, and replate them. Eastwood Company sells an excellent and inexpensive zinc-plating kit. Just a thought and good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 04:18:05 AM »
Dip the whole fuse block in safest rust remover for a day or so... remove and rinse... blow out and then spray the whole thing down with silicone...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 12:54:32 PM »
Give American Auto Wire a call .You can replace the whole harness with the block .No more problems .
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B