Author Topic: Mufflers....  (Read 9032 times)

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
Mufflers....
« on: June 03, 2008, 05:05:30 PM »
    I have a 68 Z from which the original 302 has been removed (stored on an engine stand in the workshop) and replaced with a 350. This 'replacement' engine has ported fuelie heads, Z manifold, 650 double pumper, 1 5/8 headers, and a 332/338 degree @.050" hydraulic cam (and Yes I am sorry that I didn't throw in the mechanical Z 28 replacement version) and approximately 9.5 : 1 compression ratio.
    I built the engine to enable me to get better mileage, use mostly available pump gas, and be a bit more driveable on the street (all of which the 302 obviously wasn't that good at) but it doesn't sound as good as I would like in comparison obviously. The car now has what appears to be a pair of turbo (no name brand) mufflers with a full original-style exhaust system - 2 1/4" in size less the transverse muffler....

I would like to replace my mufflers and without starting a real poll, would like some suggestions as to what any of you would consider to be a good for such a set up. I don't want to end up with a race type deal where I can't hear myself think or carry on a conversation in the car when driving, but the ones on the car now are a little too quiet for my taste. I do realize that this is a very subjective and personal thing but I thought it might help me weed through the multitude of choices and narrow it down somewhat.

I appreciate any and all comments and suggestions with this.  - Randy

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: Mufflers....
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 06:44:49 PM »

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 09:02:43 PM »
http://www.gardnerexhaust.com/gardnermovie.html

Paul

Something like a Gardner system certainly would be nice - but too many $$'s for me - plus too hard to get (read $$'s again) up here in Northern Ontario. Thanks anyway...

I'm just trying to find out if set of Flowmasters or DynoMax or (insert brand and/or model) would sound and operate best within the parameters offered for my car - in anyone's opinion who may wish to share their experiences with some particular types  they have heard or are using presently.   Randy

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 02:24:17 AM »
I have a flowmaster American Thunder 2.5" full exhaust on my 350 Z10.  Nice mandrel bends, H pipe and stainless tips.  I like it.
69 Camaro Z10.. 72 GMC C1500
79 Mazda RX7.. 79 Trans Am WS6
06 Corvette Z06.. 10 BMW 650i

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:03:52 AM »
You might want to look at the Summit exhaust stuff--it's dirt cheap compared to a Flowmaster system, but obviously not as scienced-out. The pipe is heavy, good stuff with mandrel bends and it's aluminized. I have a Summit 3" system on my '68 with Warlock mufflers, which sound like the old Thrush 'turbo' mufflers and have dump caps for open exhaust at the drag strip. But because of the Warlocks' in-and-out configuration I couldn't use the tailpipes without mods. I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that a Summit 2-1/2" system with their fully-welded mufflers would be a good exhaust system for your car, sound great, and fit well. I was very pleased with the quality of the Summit stuff and would recommend it to anyone who can't afford a Flowmaster setup or wants the classic sound of 'turbo' mufflers or glasspacks. The key is the mandrel bends--they're smooth and don't choke the gas flow like your regular muffler shop mangled pipes. My 2 cents and good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

red69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 02:55:36 PM »
We installed a Flowmaster 2.5 inch american thunder on my son's 67, it fit well and sounds great. Well worth the money.
 Pat

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 08:50:51 PM »

Thanks for the replies - I still don't quite know what to do with this but I will get the car out of storage next week and take a good look to see just what dimensions the old mufflers are and what would fit in place of them with the least amount of trouble then take a hard look at the Flowmasters - probably 40 series and go from there.
    I had a guy in a '69 Superbee pull up beside me at a light a few nights ago and his car sounded pretty good. When I managed to get his attention he said they were Flowmaster 40 series as well and if I could get my car to sound at idle at least as good it would work for me.
    As I said I do realize this is a very personal thing and somewhat dependant on the particular vehicle and installation characteristics as well...    Thanks - Randy

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 03:28:56 PM »
The transverse kit from Heartbeat City or D&R Classic worls fine. Not too loud but classic sounding. Without the 11:1, 30-30 early exhaust valve opening, 302 it just won't sound the same at all.

http://www.camaros.net/showroom/showphoto.php?photo=1624&cat=500&ppuser=11189
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 04:38:15 PM »
The transverse kit from Heartbeat City or D&R Classic worls fine. Not too loud but classic sounding. Without the 11:1, 30-30 early exhaust valve opening, 302 it just won't sound the same at all.

Yea, I regretfully realize that Gary - I am going to go with a couple of under the floor-type replacements for the cost and convenience of installation since that is where the car presently has mufflers installed, otherwise I'm looking at changing a lot more of the piping than I want to spend the money on right now.

I really should put the 302 back in if for no other reason than just to hear it again. I used to have people follow and stop me just to comment on how the car sounded when the Z motor was in.  Not that what I have now sounds all that bad - its just not the same though as I'm sure many of you certainly realize.  - Randy