Author Topic: Not exactly a 1st gen question for JohnZ (or others)  (Read 9653 times)

Flowjoe

• View Profile
Not exactly a 1st gen question for JohnZ (or others)
« on: May 23, 2008, 02:02:45 PM »
A member of the NastyZ28.com forum (2nd gens for those who don't know) recently picked up a fairly well documented 1970 SS350 4 speed car (pretty detailed history, build sheet and matching numbers).  He is sharing a lot of photos of the pieces he is pulling and off and servicing.

one of them was this distributor:

As you can see it is an 1111488 code which should indicate 1969 350CId 300 HP ST usage with a build date of 1969, March 24th.

The car in question is a 1970 SS350 Camaro 4 speed with a build sheet date of May 26th

The question is:
Would it have been possible for the engine plant to install this distributor in this car?
If possible, would it have been likely?

Any other thoughts appreciated.

BTW, it's a really nifty car.  Here is a link to the thread:
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120144

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Not exactly a 1st gen question for JohnZ (or others)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 02:30:27 PM »
That same distributor was also used in the 1969 Nova, Chevelle, and full-size Chevrolet; I think it would be highly unlikely that it would have been originally installed on a 1970 engine built many months later - it was a fairly high-volume part.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 02:51:09 PM »
That same distributor was also used in the 1969 Nova, Chevelle, and full-size Chevrolet; I think it would be highly unlikely that it would have been originally installed on a 1970 engine built many months later - it was a fairly high-volume part.
Thanks John.  that has been my take but I was looking for a some supporting opinions.  The person who owned it until very recently took great umbrage at my suggestion that it was a pretty common '69 part and was unlikely to have sat around for over a year.

hihorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 02:06:34 AM »
My 70 dist with X's on it, wonder what they mean?

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 03:37:44 PM »
When they stamped the casting number of the distributor,  did they also stamp the date code or did a load of  distribs. stamped #488  arrive and when required, were  date stamped...

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 09:00:51 PM »
When they stamped the casting number of the distributor,  did they also stamp the date code or did a load of  distribs. stamped #488  arrive and when required, were  date stamped...
I believe that the date stamp refers to when the unit was assembled....so that means the stamp relates to when the distributor was built not when it was installed

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 09:02:20 PM »
My 70 dist with X's on it, wonder what they mean?
That looks like they "X"ed out the application number (in favor of another usage?)...unlike the one I posted that has an "X" preceding it. 

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 09:03:05 PM »
John, would a service/warranty distributor have an application number on it? 

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 10:12:39 AM »
Good morning!!!  After the distributor was assembled, was the unit put into a "holding fixture" of some sort to stamp it exactly on the same horizontal line, using exactly the same numbers punch  as the 7 digit part number.  If so, to my eye, the 4 doesn't look the same.  On the part number 4, the punch seems to have 2 distinct noticeable dots on the triangle of the 4 versus the date 4 having 1...  On the lower right side of my screen, I have an icon with a magnifying glass. I changed the level to read 400 and you can see the punch is not the same or a different pressure was applied...    On the 000 distributor, the O stamp is not the same as the dated 0.. How can this be??? In the 'ole days, they must've had people who did nothing else but assemble distribs.   Maybe other people down the line had listings saying we need 20 distribs for 20 Camaros dated 9 C 24 and punched the castings as such..  Maybe the questions begs, how did the assembly line process work???   Ted

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 08:25:14 PM »
I never saw the distributor line at Delco-Remy personally, but I have seen the alternator line, and the drive end castings were automatically roll-stamped with all the information (part number, date, etc.) before the alternator was assembled; I expect the distributors were done the same way.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 05:07:43 AM »
One comment on the assembly process - I've never seen a process where the stamp was applied before the part was assembled. Most components were assembled and then part #'s and dated.

It would be interesting to see the specs on the 488 dist and the 70 L48 dist. Which dist cam, which vacuum, etc....
Kurt S
CRG

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »
One comment on the assembly process - I've never seen a process where the stamp was applied before the part was assembled. Most components were assembled and then part #'s and dated.

I agree - however, Delco-Remy apparently figured it was easier for the automation at the roll-stamping operation to handle a lightweight empty drive end casting than to handle and orient a heavy fully-assembled alternator.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 04:58:11 PM »
In the case of the alternator, they were probably concerned with not being able to properly support the housing and distorting or cracking the housing.
Other manufacturers stamped on the leg of the case, getting around this problem.
Kurt S
CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 03:46:56 AM »
It would be interesting to see the specs on the 488 dist and the 70 L48 dist. Which dist cam, which vacuum, etc....
I doubt that it's original. The correct dist, 1111996, and it included the RFI shield. The 488 didn't have the shield so it was not interchangeable.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 04:30:23 AM by KurtS »
Kurt S
CRG

RickH

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 05:14:46 PM »
It's not to say that early in life or at the selling dealer they couldn't get the car tuned properly and a dwell check confirmed that the points were jumping and they decided to replace the distributor. Hey, it happens. A quick check for a 350/300hp shows up in the parts book as 1111488 and 1111996 dependin on year but they are for the same engine and horsepower. Owner of car gets what is available and never thinks twice. Or replaced under warranty at the dealeship with what was available.
Go to any parts store and ask the person you need a part. Give the year and engine size and the part available is used in many year makes and models.

The car is almost 40 years old and anything could have happened back then.

Rick H.