Author Topic: tracing history  (Read 4616 times)

coot520

• View Profile
tracing history
« on: February 05, 2006, 04:21:14 PM »
I am a new member today. I have an unrestored 67 ss350. I am trying to find out a little of its past. I live in pa, dmv doesnt have much for me. their records only go back 10 years. I bought the car in 97, the last owner had it from 86, he was no help. My title says that it was pa titled 3/29/72. the title is branded with an " F " witch says it came from out of country. I did contact canada and their responce was it was never registered there. just wanted to see if anyone had any info that could help or point me in the right direction. thanks   rich

67ss350camaro

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: tracing history
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 01:09:55 PM »
Rich,
  It sounds like you have done all of the right things so far.  I's probably is not in our data base, but I can check if you send me the vin#.  Unfortunately, it is only getting harder to track the history of these cars.
Daniel
CRG
67 RS/SS 350 auto (owned since 81.)
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
2012 1LS (V6 6-speed) Coupe (new work car)
My Camaro

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 04:09:22 PM »
It has gotten to be very difficult.  After I purchased my 69 RS back in Nov 1991, I began the process of tracing its history.  At the time I lived in Baton Rouge, LA and traced the car back through 3 previous owners by going to the DMV in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Pennsylvania.  Was able to trace it back to a person in Chambersburg, PA who owned the car from April 1983 - Dec 1985.  Couldn't go back any further as the PA DMV told me that their records, at that time, didn't go back any further.  That previous records had been lost due to some occurrence, a fire I believe.  In any event, I realize this doesn't help your effort any, but like your PA title, where you had a F indicated, mine had a P which indicated that the car was at one time registered to a police department.  I've always wondered what that was all about.  Hard to understand why a police department would titale a 69 RS.  In any event, one of those little historical items lost to time.

I also tried a VIN / insurance history check through someone that I knew in the local police department.  Nothing on my car showed up.  However, a friend of mine, who owned a '67 vette at the time, was able to find out through the VIN / insurance check the original date his car was titled, where it was originally titiled as well as the original GM delaership zone in which the car was sold.  If you know someone who would be willing to run this for you, you might get lucky.  My understanding is that this is not something that police depts would normally want to do.

Good luck on your search. 
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

had 1 new

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 01:02:46 AM »
HI, I AM A NEW MEMBER AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT REGISTERING MY CAR. COULD SOMEONE POST THE INFO I NEED TO DO SO. THANKS IN ADVANCE. PAUL.