Author Topic: Dealership License Plate Frames  (Read 12600 times)

Vince

• View Profile
Dealership License Plate Frames
« on: May 12, 2008, 10:10:18 PM »
I am trying to find original license plate frames from Fred Gledhill Chevrolet, circa 1960's, that was located in Wilmington, Calif.  I currently own an original 1969 Z/28 that was purchased from there in Feb., 1969 and would like to add the dealership frames to add to it's originality.  Thank you.

Flowjoe

• View Profile
Re: Dealership License Plate Frames
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 04:06:14 PM »
I am trying to find original license plate frames from Fred Gledhill Chevrolet, circa 1960's, that was located in Wilmington, Calif.  I currently own an original 1969 Z/28 that was purchased from there in Feb., 1969 and would like to add the dealership frames to add to it's originality.  Thank you.

If you find a good source for frames (lot of plate collectors - not so many frame collectors) I'd be interested in an contact.  I have been trying for the last 4 1/2 years to locate dealer plates for a couple of cars (admittedly, I have not been searching continuously but in spurts).

The usual suggestions are swap meets and Ebay...I've found both of those to be sources that are very dry for this sort of thing

KevinW

• View Profile

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 04:15:50 PM »
If you find a good source for frames (lot of plate collectors - not so many frame collectors) I'd be interested in an contact.  I have been trying for the last 4 1/2 years to locate dealer plates for a couple of cars (admittedly, I have not been searching continuously but in spurts).

The usual suggestions are swap meets and Ebay...I've found both of those to be sources that are very dry for this sort of thing
  I'll let you know if I find a contact for dealer license plate frames. 

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 04:20:30 PM »
Thanks Kevin for the site referral.  That's where I first saw that a Gledhill Chevrolet license frame still existed.  I wonder how a frame from a California dealership ended up all the way back in Pennsylvania.  Hopefully there are more out there. 

69houdini

• 69 SS X55 Butternut Vert / 68 Z28 Rally Green
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 05:23:58 AM »
Hey, I'm in the same boat ,however I saw the frames you're looking for at the Long Beach Veterans Stadium Auto Swap Meet in CA. There are about 10 venders that sell the frames and most are just piled up on top of each other getting banged up. Pairs are very very hard to find but you can google that swap meet and try to contact the vendors.

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 04:33:21 PM »
Thanks for the info and suggestion.

ChevyThunder

• View Profile
    • Pro Racing
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 05:05:23 PM »
My 69 Z was purchased at Clippinger Chevrolet in West Covina California... There was one frame when I bought the car so I went on the search for a second . I searched Craigslist in So Cal and found two . Give it a try
1969 X44 COPO
1969 X33 RS Z/28

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 07:03:23 PM »
Clippinger Chevrolet has only been in West Covina for a few years.  They spent the good ol' glory days in their original home at the corner of Citrus Ave. and San Bernardino Road in Covina.  May not seem like much to most people but it's been a big deal around here.

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 09:10:47 PM »
I have been looking for a Ted Green Chevrolet frame for several years. I know it is now Martin Chevrolet, on Hawthorne in Torrance. I have tried to contact them several times and have been given the cold shoulder treatment.
Chris
69 SS 350

fireZ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 01:46:44 AM »
I am after a Selman Chevrolet frame. They are in Orange California.Thanks
1968 Z28 LA Built
LIC # RPO Z28

ChevyThunder

• View Profile
    • Pro Racing
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 12:43:01 AM »
Clippinger Chevrolet has only been in West Covina for a few years.  They spent the good ol' glory days in their original home at the corner of Citrus Ave. and San Bernardino Road in Covina.  May not seem like much to most people but it's been a big deal around here.

Correct ... the original dealership is still there though I beleive it is only a service or used car dept. I went by in 2006
1969 X44 COPO
1969 X33 RS Z/28

69houdini

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 02:54:04 AM »
Hey Chris, I live a couple miles from Martin Chevrolet and if you want I can stop by and ask them if they have any old frames for you. Let me know, John

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 04:13:18 AM »
Sure John

If there is anybody there who worked in 1969, ask them if they remember the brown SS with the single white stripe that was in the showroom.
I have been trying to get any info regarding the car that I can ;D
Chris
69 SS 350

69houdini

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 05:24:48 AM »
Hey Chris, I'll stop by when I get a chance. I will probably need more info if i get lucky to find someone that could connect the dots for you. I'll let you know.  John

anything