Author Topic: Headlight door on my 67 RS...  (Read 14455 times)

Danishbanker

• View Profile
    • www.bankmand.com
Headlight door on my 67 RS...
« on: April 28, 2008, 07:43:35 AM »
I know you guys proberly have seen thsi question 1000 times, but I am kind of stuck :-(

The left door works fine, but the right one donīt open...

I have been looking at som web page but my technical english isnīt the best :-(  So perhaps one of you guys can talk me thru it it plain english ??

Hope to hear from you - ( because it is the law in Denmark to drive with lights on )

Regards /Claus
* 55 Chevy Bel Air
* 67 Camaro RS
* Harley Fatboy
www.bankmand.com

Blown 67 RS

• View Profile
Re: Headlight door on my 67 RS...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 08:33:14 PM »
That is a nice RS you have.

There could be a number of things wrong: You have to determine if the problem is mechanical or electrical.

- Does the motor make noise when you turn on the headlights? If YES then it could be a bad gearbox or lever loose. If NO then you need to determine if it is the motor or the power coming to the motor. That could be any number things ranging from simple connections to blown relays or breakers. Since the one side does work that limits the areas of suspicion.

- Can you move the door manually? Maybe that way you could move it out of the way and still have headlights until you fix the problem. If the door won't move then you have something binding.

The newer set ups have a slipper clutch that you set the tension on. Not sure about original components but I don't think they had that option. The 1967 doors were problematic and jammed a lot. If they jammed they often stripped the gears or blew the motors.

-Scott

Danishbanker

• View Profile
    • www.bankmand.com
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 09:15:35 AM »
Thanks Scott, and ditto  :P

Yes I can move it by hand, but that is so not cool when parking ant the locak icecrem stand ;-)

Any chance you ( or someone else ) can guide me step by step what to do and what to check, to locate the problem ??

Thanks
Claus
* 55 Chevy Bel Air
* 67 Camaro RS
* Harley Fatboy
www.bankmand.com

Blown 67 RS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 03:47:20 PM »
Primary causes of failure:
The first place to look are the motors themselves. The factory motors and gear units were crap. Plastic gears and rusty hinge components caused the gears to strip early on in these systems. Ice, mud and other debris would cause the hidden doors to jam. The factory 10 amp breaker for the electrical was too strong for the weak motors and gears and usually never tripped before the gears themselves stripped or the motors burned out. Poor sealing of the motor units allowed moisture to enter the units and caused premature damage.

Do you know if the motor units are the original ones? Have you loosened or disconnected the actuator arm from the motor unit in order to manually move the door? If not, the gears may be stripped which means you need a replacement motor unit.

It has been a while since I did mine so I'm not familiar with access to everything off the top of my head, but I would start by testing the motor. Get a test light and disconnect the plug going to the motor. Ground your test light and then use the probe end to touch the prongs in the plug end coming from the main harness. Have someone turn on the lights (with the key ON) and see if you get power to the test light. Since you said one side is working I'm betting you get power to the dead side. If not, it gets more complicated tracing the break in the power source. It could be a stuck contact switch for the door or a bad relay or breaker. All of the headlight door wiring runs to a central mount containing 3 relays and a circuit breaker. Without seeing your car in person it is very difficult to diagnose and offer help online. It could be as simple as a connection.

While you have the plug for the motor unit disconnected, find a way to send power to it with a test wire or stand alone battery. At least you will know if the motor unit is working.

I was able to find a wiring diagram online when I rebuilt my door set up. I'm willing to bet someone around here has one or I can search my computer at home for it.

-Scott
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 03:53:08 PM by Blown 67 RS »

Blown 67 RS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 04:05:38 PM »
Claus here is more help. See if this helps you diagnose the problem. I found all my components at D&R Camaro and found the motor units new at a Swap Meet for @ $90 each so it helps to shop around.

Wiring diagram:
http://www.pozziracing.com/Media/67rswire2.jpg

Tips:
http://www.pozziracing.com/67_rs_headlight_doors.htm

More Tips:
http://www.retro-electro.net/FAQ.html

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 05:10:06 PM »
Claus,
I will try to help you with your problem but first we will have to narrow it down a bit. With the key and lights on, open the right door by hand. Now turn off the lights. Did the right door close. If it did then the motor is OK and your problem is in the headlamp limit switch (no ground). If it did not close the motor is defective. I do not believe that both limit switches could be bad but I guess it possible.
Hope this helps!
Bob

Danishbanker

• View Profile
    • www.bankmand.com
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 05:33:32 PM »
Thanks Guys  ;)

Iīll go thru the link and try the other thing, and get back ASAP - probely with more questions ;-)

Have a nice day
Claus
* 55 Chevy Bel Air
* 67 Camaro RS
* Harley Fatboy
www.bankmand.com

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 08:22:29 PM »
Claus,

What sort of service books do you have, if any?  For example, do you have a Chassis Service Manual?  It has a lot of helpful information and can be ordered through most suppliers.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Danishbanker

• View Profile
    • www.bankmand.com
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 08:43:10 AM »
What sort of service books do you have, if any? 

Hi Phillip

I have:
* Camaro Restoration Guide 1967-69
* 1967 Camaro Assembly Manuel

I donīt think they are any god :-(  I have had many Mustangs and the mustang Shop manuel are very good a nice to work from - do you know them? and does they come to Camaro aswell ??
* 55 Chevy Bel Air
* 67 Camaro RS
* Harley Fatboy
www.bankmand.com

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 02:04:14 PM »
Take a look at Bertfam's list here in this thread:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=40.0

And the CRG bibliography:
http://www.camaros.org/crgrefs.shtml

Yes, Chevrolet made shop and serivice manuals for 1967.  Suppliers have reprints.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 05:56:09 PM »
Just a thought, since you are required to have the lights on when driving, could you remove the door while trouble shooting the mechanism?
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o