Author Topic: Under Hood Light For Cowl Hood - '69  (Read 6429 times)

no69x-44

• View Profile
Under Hood Light For Cowl Hood - '69
« on: April 19, 2008, 12:08:13 PM »
Was there an option to have an under the hood light in 1969 with a cowl induction, a cowl hood and the molded insulation?  I can see the AIM where the light(s) placement would be on a SS car or a car with a flat hood, even on a car with a 396, but can't find anything about a car with Cowl Induction.  I can't seem to figure where a light would go in sort of setup without hitting anything when the hood was closed ... Other then maybe over by the master cylinder ... which would be a pretty useless place to put it.

Is it possible that a light under the hood on a Cowl Induction, Cowl Hood with molded insulation and BB car in 1969 wasn't an option?
Thanks.
--Rob
----------------------------
'72 SS Nova - Gone
'68 Chevelle - Gone
'67 Impala - Gone
'65 Belair - Gone
'00 Corvette - Still got it
'69 Camaro - Keeper

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Under Hood Light For Cowl Hood - '69
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 04:15:23 PM »
All cars with the ZL2 hood got hood insulation - it was part of the package. If you also ordered the ZJ9 Auxiliary Lighting package, that included an underhood light; the specific instructions for the underhood light location with ZL2 are in the A.I.M., in section U26, sheet A1, View "C".
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

no69x-44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 12:08:42 AM »
Thanks John for the reference lead.  I see exactly what you are talking about.  So now, is it safe to assume that there is only one (1) light under the hood with the Z87 package and ZL2 hood and BB motor?
--Rob
'72 SS Nova - Gone
'68 Chevelle - Gone
'67 Impala - Gone
'65 Belair - Gone
'69 Camaro - Keeper

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 02:18:08 PM »
Thanks John for the reference lead.  I see exactly what you are talking about.  So now, is it safe to assume that there is only one (1) light under the hood with the Z87 package and ZL2 hood and BB motor?

Yes - there was never an instance where a car got two underhood lights.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 07:44:16 PM »
Something that was brought up over at camaros.net, in the case of BB with ZL2, was the underhood lamp still mounted in the SB position as per "View C"?
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 08:41:06 PM »
No, the light was for the oil dipstick, so on a BB, it moved to the pass side.

Something that was brought up over at camaros.net, in the case of BB with ZL2, was the underhood lamp still mounted in the SB position as per "View C"?

no69x-44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 08:55:29 PM »
No, the light was for the oil dipstick, so on a BB, it moved to the pass side.

The AIM (page 418 View C) has the light from the factory on a BB with the ZL2 option and hood insulation and Cowl Induction just to the driver side of the Cowl extension of the hood. The light would shine between the wiper motor and the master Cylinder/power booster. I'm not sure really how effective of a light it would be located there, but that's where it is in the AIM.
--Rob
'72 SS Nova - Gone
'68 Chevelle - Gone
'67 Impala - Gone
'65 Belair - Gone
'69 Camaro - Keeper