Author Topic: Rebuilt engine storage  (Read 4913 times)

jk1969z28

• View Profile
Rebuilt engine storage
« on: March 25, 2008, 03:23:44 AM »
I have just gotten my 302 back after being freshly rebuilt (THANK CHP).  Only problem is that in the excitement of getting the engine brought back from the dead I did not factor in the fact that the car might lag behind about a year.  So the engine has to sit in my garage that is less then air tight and needless to say not climate controlled.  I was told to get it in the house, which makes the wife not very happy and carrying it in is not an easy process.  I've consulted with Ken Lucas from Lucas Restorations who suggested I have it dynoed and broken in, which is scheduled for this week.  The thought being that this will get everything coated and worn in properly after 3-4 hours of running.  The shop doing the dyno then suggested that once I get it back home, wrap it in a blanket, put it in plastic and once a week or so, since I don't have experience setting solid lifter valves, that I turn it over about a quarter of a turn to releave the tension on the down valves.  Also we plan to break it in with Joe Gibbs oil since the dyno operator said he has seen a few wiped cams lately with lesser oils.  So after this long winded post mainly what I'm interested in any thoughts on storing the engine without harming it in anyway.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Jerry K.

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuilt engine storage
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 04:04:48 AM »
Jerry...whatever you do, protect it from mice! I had a 406 short block I stored wrapped in plastic for about 2 years in an outbuilding, and when I went to get it rats had gotten into the cylinders and pooped and pissed all in it and the cylinderwalls had rusted. I had to take it apart and re-hone, re-hot-tank and essentially rebuild the thing. Friends have told me of rats getting into spark plug holes and intakes and nesting there in stored engines. The mess they can make is amazing. If I ever have to store another one, it'll be on an engine stand where all holes are securely plugged and the mice can't get to it! Good luck! 
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 04:22:35 AM »
Back off the rocker nuts. Take all the pressure off the springs.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 11:08:40 AM »
Jerry,

Where are you doing the dyno testing?  I hope that Ken Lucas referred you to Bub Whitiker at Burtonsville Machine.  His dyno is on the conservative side and I have a lot of data from his dyno from my own 302 race engines and many customers too.

Jerry 

anything