Author Topic: Pulley Alignment (help)  (Read 4221 times)

detfox

• View Profile
Pulley Alignment (help)
« on: March 07, 2008, 04:18:25 AM »
I had to replace the following parts with repo’s: water pump and crank shaft pulleys, and the alternator bracket.  Now the pulleys don’t line up and the alternator won’t fit on the bracket.  I either got the wrong parts or I have the wrong water pump

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: Pulley Alignment (help)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 04:55:01 AM »
I would check the water pump first.  Aftermarket pumps often do not have the shaft spaced right.  Previous discussion might be helpful:  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=2358.0
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

lcmc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:14:04 PM »
Get original pulleys. I had the same problem. I was told from my supplier that this is quite common with reproduction pulleys.
Danny
1969 Z/28 X77
1970 Nova L78 9300 original miles

detfox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 07:16:49 PM »
I ended up buying an NOS (reman) water pump from HB city.  I removed the repo pullys and alt bracket before installing the new w/p.  Everything was going fine, until I was tightening the fitting on the w/p and noticed that it was cracked.  Although it was cracked, and unuseable we still needed to see if the pulleys would line up.  We installed the w/p pulley hand tighning the bolts and installed the crank pulley just using the center balancer bolt (also hand tight).  After the rest was bolted on everything seemed to line up.  When we then compaired the mesurements of the NOS pulley and the old one.  Although visually different they seem to match.  I concluded that the crankshaft pulley was somehow installed incorrectly the first go around.  Is there a specific way that pulley is supposed to be installed?  That seems to be the only logical explanition.  FYI, HB City said to send the w/p back and they will inspect it for a refund (didn't want to say anything neg about them).

detfox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 07:19:47 PM »
**Correction we compaired the two water pumps, not the pulleys. The water pumps bolt holes and other demisions were the same.

anything