Author Topic: 69 eliptical antenna  (Read 7106 times)

fiveforty

• View Profile
69 eliptical antenna
« on: February 22, 2008, 01:43:03 PM »
I've seen eliptical antennas with a eliptical tip on the end or a round tip on the end. Which is correct for a 69 camaro? Thanks.

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
Re: 69 eliptical antenna
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 01:45:23 PM »
The original AM antenna's were elliptical shaft and tip. The tips may or may not have a groove in them. I have seen survivors cars both ways.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 01:51:40 PM by paceme »
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 07:35:50 PM »
I don't know for sure if my AM antenna is original to the car (although most everything else is), but it's elliptical and doesn't have a groove in the elliptical tip.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 08:52:52 PM »
What is the correct attena for AM/FM?  Fixed mast or telescoping?  round or oval tip?

Antenna on my car is a telescoping variant where the mast does not screw into the base, but rather the base has a knurled stud that the antenna mast presses on to.  Have to double check, but I believe the tip is round.

I have another antenna mast from a '69 Camaro on the shelf in the garage where the base of the mast has a threaded stud that obviously screws into the base.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

black69

• View Profile
    • my_car
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 12:36:49 AM »
I have the eliptical top on mine, june 69 car, am radio. I myself think the top looks like a chicklet. I have had some guys look at the antenna and say what the 'h' is that? glad to know its supposed to be that way.
Black 69L78. 4:10, RS/SS/ZL2, 'black painted tail panel different than body','red hockey stripe w/ v-top exception'
Blue 68Z28. 4:10, Kustom 'tunnel tube' headers, Nickey sold.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 04:21:53 PM »
The AM-FM antenna is a solid tapered stainless steel rod with a ball at the top. Both antennas have a cylindrical tip at the bottom that fits into a hole in the base on the fender, and an internally-threaded round chrome nut with two wrench flats that screws onto external threads on the base. The AM antenna (photo below) has two tiny projections on the collar at the bottom that engage teeth on the base to orient the axis of the elliptical shape fore-aft and keep it in that position.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 06:13:57 PM »
JohnZ, I bought what was supposed to be a NOS elliptical antenna with no groove on the top. But the base has serrations, not lugs to keep the orientation. There are no mating slots on the base to match he lugs.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 01:06:48 AM »
Here's a photo of the antenna mounting base with the teeth on it that engage the two tiny lugs on the collar of the AM antenna.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 03:23:04 PM »
The aftermarket bases do not have the teeth as you show in your picture.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.