Author Topic: Really cool alternative to stock gauges  (Read 7275 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Really cool alternative to stock gauges
« on: February 05, 2008, 09:20:09 PM »
Check these out...

http://www.classicinstruments.com/index.aspx?documentID=camaro1

I came across this and thought it was an awesome alternative to factory gauges or even the Covan gauges that are starting to pop up at the car shows.  I spoke with the rep at classic instruments and he advised me that they are working on making a prototype setup for 69 if there is enough of a demand.  What I really like is the factory looking font along with the greenish lettering and bright orange needles.  Great combination of old school and new tech.  These would also be terrific for a non console car.  All you see today are console gauges on every 68-69 Camaro.  I'm guilty as well as I put them in my car.  However, I am building a completely non-original pro-tour 69 coupe.  I was originally planning on going with the Covan gauges with the brushed silver housing.  The biggest problem with Covan is they do not make the lower trim piece that installs under the column (and no plans to do so anytime in the near future I was told).  The guy at Covan suggested I paint this lower piece with silver paint.  I'm sorry, but silver paint looks horrible (as least it does when I use it).  Not to mention the grain would be mismatched.  Covan gauges are starting to pop up all over the place and becoming quite common.  This kinda takes the uniqueness away.  Also, my 69 interior consists of a 4th gen steering column, so my wiper controls are on the column on the turn signal.  I installed leather power seats from a 2000 Z/28, along with the matching 4th gen fCamaro console complete with the emergency brake in the center (no floor pedal anymore).  I found a black ceiling console from a late model Chevy truck which fits along the headliner like it was meant to be there and matches the console nicely.  So I have no place to put aftermarket gauges unless I go with the Covan setup.  However, this would foot the bill nicely.  The rep at Classic Instrument said they are considering a setup for the 69 if there is an interest in it.  So, give 'em a call and let them know you would like to see these for a 69.  If enough people show an interest then they might get their engineers in gear and start producing these.  I'm in no hurry with my project, so I will give them about 6 months and check back to see what plans are.  Give them a call...the squeky wheel gets the oil...(or is it the whiny wife gets the credit card...?)

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: Really cool alternative to stock gauges
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 12:52:12 PM »
Steve,

I like it. I was thinking of getting the Covans 69 panel, and putting a quad on the right, speedo on the left, and putting a hood tach (like the Baldwin Motion) out front. This would leave me holes for 4 more guages in the covan panel.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

pbranen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 05:54:46 PM »
These gauges look awesome
1968 Camaro Standard Coupe
2 speed power glide

gearheadtx

• View Profile
I am also considering replacing my stock gauge in my 67 with the Classic Instruments Gauge set but was wondering anyone on this forum has actually installed them and what their experience was using a stock wiring harness. 

Thanks,

Mark

vr1967

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 02:38:48 PM »
I had looked at them when they first came out. They did not have the tach in the speedo then. I ended up going with a set of Firebird Rally gauges w/o the hood tach, instead. Not the best pic but here is a link to how they look. (these are not mine, and are for a 68 instead, 160 speedo, and the coloring is different)
http://www.allmusclecars.com/pontiac/kp68birdgauges.jpg

Virgil

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 10:19:21 PM »
I considered the same bird set, but mine is a 69, and they are not interchangeable.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o