Author Topic: will factory A/C work with a big block?  (Read 4579 times)

thecraiger

• View Profile
will factory A/C work with a big block?
« on: January 28, 2008, 12:17:25 AM »
I have a 67 Camaro SS. originally a 350 car with factory A/C. I want to change it to a big block 396 – will I be able to keep the A/C box and components or will they not fit with a big block? What to do?

dd442

• Gotta Love a Big Block
    • View Profile
Re: will factory A/C work with a big block?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 03:24:37 PM »
I know that the Evaporator and the inner case is different for the BB than the SB other than that not much is different. Even the heater core is the same for BB\SB on your A\C cars.
70 SS 396\350, 69jane, 69 442, 70 Mach 1

thecraiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 05:34:16 PM »
I read somewhere else while doing some research that big block cars did not offer A/C in 1967 and the box would be in the way. Do you know where I could find some literature about the difference under the hood between a small and big block? Does anyone know if i will need custom headers, different steering box etc while doing the swap...or just springs, motor mounts and longer hoses? Any help would be appreciated. i am also posting this response on General discussion.

dd442

• Gotta Love a Big Block
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 06:24:54 PM »
I dont know if they offered ac on 67 BB cars but you could change the inner side of the box and that would work, as far as what else you would have to change of course would be the frame mounts,springs, and hoses, like you said. You can run stock manifolds without a problem and and use the same steering box but if you have PS you have to change the pump and hoses,brackets. If you have a 4 speed you might have to change the shifter bracket on the trans because the engine sets over towards the pass side of the car.If anyone else has more info please speak up.
70 SS 396\350, 69jane, 69 442, 70 Mach 1

RickH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 01:48:25 AM »
No A/C on big blocks in 1967. You might be able to use the evap box that is in your car now but I would swap it out with a 1968 BB unit just to be sure.

Go here for 67 differences.  http://www.camaros.org/diffs67.shtml

Rick H.

anything