Author Topic: roof rail weatherstrip  (Read 6470 times)

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
roof rail weatherstrip
« on: January 17, 2008, 05:17:15 AM »
  Hi guys;  I'm in the process of adjusting my door and 1/4-windows and have run into a problem with them sealing on the weatherstrips along the roof rails. I'm using the previous holes in the weatherstrip channels to locate them, and with the weatherstrip in place I cannot adjust the windows correctly. The windows bind at the bottom at the front of the door, but the top of the glass is just kissing the weatherstrip and not sealing. Ditto with the 1/4-windows adjusted to match the door glass.
  The weatherstrip channel at present is standing off about 3/16" from the inside of the roof rail and not flush, using the old screw holes. With the old, shrunken GM weatherstrip this worked fine. I'm using new SoffSeal weatherstrip and have been told it doesn't "crush" as well as OEM because of its non-hollow core. I've had this problem on the deck lid as well.
  I guess my question is, and it may be a dumb one; is it common to have to elongate or drill new holes in the roof rail weatherstrip channels to move them inboard to make the glass fit right? I know next to nothing about this, and would greatly appreciate any tips or advice.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

Pex68

• View Profile
Re: roof rail weatherstrip
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 07:21:41 AM »
Best advise I can give you is to get a copy of the Fisher Body Manual.  It will have the process outlined on how to adjust the windows.  Trust me, it's no fun and and eats time but it does feel good when you finally get everything to line up a few weeks later!!! ;D  Once you see how each adjustment affects the glass make SMALL adjustments and check full travel of glass often.

Don't drill any new holes either-that's just not right.  If all else fails I hear Metro WS is softer than SoftSeal.  Good Luck.
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

RickH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 02:51:53 PM »
On my 67 RS I used the new latex style that is now available. I had tried the soffseal brand but the doors wouldn't close properly. The new seals are just like GM and worked and look great. The cost is twice is much but is half the hassle.

Rick H.

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 10:30:08 PM »
rick, did you get them from heartbeat city or somewhere else?
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

RickH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 02:54:32 PM »
The ones I got did come from Jim at Heartbeat City but I bought them through Camaro Specialties in East Aurora, NY.

I am very happy with the way they fit on my car.

Rick H.

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 12:57:21 AM »
Best advise I can give you is to get a copy of the Fisher Body Manual.  It will have the process outlined on how to adjust the windows.  Trust me, it's no fun and and eats time but it does feel good when you finally get everything to line up a few weeks later!!! ;D  Once you see how each adjustment affects the glass make SMALL adjustments and check full travel of glass often.

It's actually the CHASSIS SERVICE MANUAL  Sorry, just browsing and re-read this now and noticed I referenced the wrong book!
Chris P

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 04:08:34 PM »
It's actually the CHASSIS SERVICE MANUAL  Sorry, just browsing and re-read this now and noticed I referenced the wrong book!

Nope, you were right the first time - the Chassis Service Manual has zero body information; glass adjustments are only covered in the Fisher Body Service Manual.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 04:53:41 PM »
Guess I should just have just left that one alone!!! 
Thanks for the correction John!
Chris P

anything