Author Topic: 68 RS Question about speedo firewall hole, first question for the new quy  (Read 4932 times)

68RS,396Impala

• View Profile
Hello, I have a question about the 68 RS I just bought, This car has some odd options, and that has made me want to investigate things, I have NO documintation on the car, I have the car and a title and have worked my way back through 10 owners 2 to go, The good thing about this car it is original untouched except for motor and trans, I do believe the car to a 4sp car, it has a muncie in it know, so in doing a search on the speedo cable and where it is suppose to go through the firewall, I went out to look, in order for it to be a muncie car, the hole was to be to the right of the steering column,  I could not find a 1inch hole like the one under the fuse box, for the automatics and saginaws,  the only one I found was small and had a small bolt holding in the rubber grammet, and the rubber hangs out on the engine side about 1/2 inch. If this is the correct whole, it would of had to been a two piece cable, if not what is this whole for? here is a pic of the hole under the dash.

68Zproject

• View Profile
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108008&highlight=muncie+speedo+clips

The first picture of Wagonman's firewall shows where the speedo cable comes out for Muncies.  It has a clip that is next to the openning, holding the cable.  The primered shot shows the Muncie speedo hole location as well.
68Z28

bertfam

• View Profile
Here's a lighter shot for you to look at since the original was so dark.

Ed

68RS,396Impala

• View Profile
So can anyone tell me what that hole I have a pic of is,

68Zproject

• View Profile
If this is the same picture that was on TC, it was a 6 cyl's throttle cable location.  And as stated there, it's on backwards.
68Z28

68RS,396Impala

• View Profile
40 years and a 10-12 owners, I quess will never know..
Thanks for the help.
Lane