Author Topic: New Guy Question - Originality and Price  (Read 8390 times)

dsags

• View Profile
New Guy Question - Originality and Price
« on: January 03, 2008, 02:15:07 AM »
New to this forum and Camaro's. When putting a value on a 63 - 72 Corvette having the paint and interior colors match the data tags is important. Is the same true for the first generation Camaro ?
I'm looking at a 12467 '69 that has a freshly rebuilt 396 replacement engine. The codes say it should be 53 B and 715 - Glacier Blue, black top and dark blue interior -  but it is now 67 A and 749 - Burgundy, white top and black houndstooth interior. Except for the color changes the car is very nice. Probably is weak number 2.
Not looking for A value for the car just want to understand the effect of the color change on the value. Thanks for any help you can give me. Nice forum BTW

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
Re: New Guy Question - Originality and Price
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 02:24:56 AM »
The more orginal the better for resale.  It depends on what you want to do with it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 02:27:15 AM by WYKOFF69Z »
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

dsags

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 03:46:01 AM »
Just looking at it as a very nice driver and that is the way its being sold. Plan to drive it and enjoy it.  I like the current color combination and the fact that its not original is ok. But is "The more orginal the better for resale" true at all levels ?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 03:51:31 PM by JohnZ »

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 01:46:05 PM »
Pro-Street and other highly modified muscle cars still bring good money for a good car in their market.  Just don't throw anything away.  See if the seller has the old motor, etc. 
Do you have a good idea about what the car is really worth?
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

dsags

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 03:50:35 PM »
Actually, pricing a first generation Camaro is a bit difficult for me - asking prices seem to be all over the board. But, since it is a real 396 SS convertible, even with the wrong colors and a 'correct' replacement engine, I am estimating its worth in the mid to upper thirties. Feel free to let me know if I'm out of line on that.
As to the original question I'm thinking well, duh, of course the car would be worth more if it was as originally built, depending on the desirability of the colors. Maybe I should have asked do color changes have a big affect on the purchase decision for a Camaro ?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 03:53:18 PM »
Just looking at it as a very nice driver and that is the way its being sold. Plan to drive it and enjoy it.  I like the current color combination and the fact that its not original is ok. But is "The more orginal the better for resale" true at all levels ?

Depends on the prospective buyer - those interested in originality will value it lower due to the incorrect color and trim, but those not concerned about originality and who just like a color and trim combination that appeals to them won't care.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 08:20:14 PM »
And you're sure it was a 396 car originally?
Kurt S
CRG

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 10:18:22 PM »
I think a nice 1969 Camaro convertible (no rust, straight frame, clean interior, new paint) with a 396 engine is easily worth $30-$40K. If it's within your budget, who cares anyway? There is two things for sure: it will be a blast to drive and it will turn heads BIG TIME! My 2 cents.

With regard to your specific question, I do believe that the value decreases rapidly as the car deviates from original state, unless you invest serious money into making it a custom ride.

Best of luck and welcome to the site.
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

dsags

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 01:21:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies and feedback. As I said - nice forum.

Kurt - I guess I can't prove it was originally a 396. Its a Norwood car with 10A build so its before the X codes started. Anyway you could think of to help prove it would be appreciated.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 03:34:17 AM »
Price depends on what the buyer is looking for, like John said. If you can document 396 that will boost the value to many collectors. If you paint it red and put shiny wheels with 30 series skins all around, and slam it down you may get even more. Either way, document what you can with before and after photos.

Many years ago my cousin was trying to sell a near factory perfect Vette. Collectors came long distances to check it out but all the offers were lower than what he expected. I suggested he raise the price, put it in the local free car mag. It sold for the higher price in about a week to some kids that just had to have a Vette immediately.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 04:11:42 AM »
Unless it has a VIN stamped auto trans (TH400), it's real hard to prove. I'd assume that's it's not a BB car originally and pay accordingly. Condition is everything....
Kurt S
CRG

anything