Author Topic: Pypes pipes  (Read 13544 times)

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pypes pipes
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 05:39:08 PM »
If you are doing a restoration and want the best original system for your car, Gardner is the only system to install on your car.  If you're looking for performance, then there are other companies that can give you better performance on the street.  You can't have both.

Jerry

Ccass

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 04:49:55 PM »
The Pypes company refuses to ackowlege the fact that the pipes don't fit the car.  They insist that they are not labled wrong or manufactured with a defect.  It took a week + to get this much information from them.  After many phone calls to Ground Up along with several emails and photos, Ground Up finally issued a call tag for them and I was able to return them. 
Pypes also wanted me to return them at my expence and if there was a problem they would make good with correct replacements.  After all the greif to get them returned I opted to return them and not give them the chance to take me.
In my opinion Pypes is not a customer oriented company, they don't take the time to listen to the customer.  When I told the guy at Pypes that if I cut a holes in the floors for the pipes, they would exit through the back window.  That's how bad the angles were on the bends. Not to mention they hung just a bit too low!!! They told me to talk to Ground Up. 
My advise is...Don't deal with Pypes exhaust!  If you can afford it go with Gardener or get a factory style from one of the restoration catalogs or get one bent

BJ, Who did you talk to at Pypes?   I just questioned every tech rep here and nobody knows anything about this problem. 
1. The downpipes you are trying to install on the car are simply the WRONG downpipes (DGU13).  You need DGU14S.
2. Pypes would never tell a customer to call the dealer on a technical issue, that's why I'd like to know who exactly you talked to.  If you have made a decision to return the pipes, then yes, we'd tell you to call the place you purchased them but not on a technical issue.
3.  I know you are frustrated but to blanketly recommend Gardner versus Pypes is just plain poor advice.  Not because Gardner is not a good company but because the companies don't have comparable products.  We at Pypes quite often recommend Gardner for owners that have concours cars. We don't consider them competition at all.  However, if you care about performance and you drive your car, you are losing a great deal of horsepower running through 2" crimp bent pipe and restrictive mufflers.  Therefore in that case Gardner is a poor choice. 

I can sympathise with your frustration when restoration parts don't fit.   Now  imagine how frustrating it is when Pypes (a fairly new company) is trying to build a reputation of quality and a high level of customer service and a topic like this comes along for all to see.   If we didn't care and our customer service was poor, we wouldn't monitor web forums like we do.   The main reason we have an occasional image problem is because of frustrated car owners that come on forums like these and give bad information out of frustration.  In the long run, it only hurts you guys because putting out fires like these cost money and that money eventually finds its way to the price of the product.    I would hope at least that topic contributors would keep this in mind before piling on in the future.   A simple e-mail to Pypes referencing a topic like this will always get a fair and honest reply from Pypes.     btw,  try and find another major exhaust company that continuously monitors internet forums and replies on their behalf.    :(   
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 05:04:43 PM by Ccass »

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 10:44:14 PM »
I had the pleasure of talking with Chris Casperson the owner of Pypes regardeing my issue with their exhaust down pipes that did not fitting correctly after he posted to my thread on the Pypes pipe problem I had.  I just wanted to say that together we got to the bottom of the problem and it has been corrected.  Chris told me the replacements would be delivered on Monday 2/11 and they were.  I put them on the car and they tuck very nicely up where the stock pipes would be.  I intend to use the complete Pypes system on my car. Reason being they are stainless, cost is very resonable and the fact that you can buy them piece by piece is the best part.  For the most part if you need one part of an exhaust I think you have to have it bent or buy the whole exhaust again.
If there is ever a question about a Pypes part do yourself and all concerned...call them!  I should have and didn't.  I'm sure I would have saved myself a lot of grief in the end if I had. 
Thank you Pypes!
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 01:13:59 AM »
Hey, glad to see everything worked out!
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20