Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 5988 times)

MQ

« on: December 15, 2007, 01:59:01 AM »
Hello all,  
I've visited this site countless times in the past, but didn't realize there was a forum until yesterday.   I have found answers to so many of my questions here that I just want to say "Thanks" to everyone who makes this possible.    I have owned 1st gen Camaros since the very early '80s and several cars have come and gone, but I was smart enough to keep a few.    

1st is an 11C built '68 RS/SS 396/375 4 speed coupe in Fathom Blue  ( 712 interior ) that I bought in early 1982.  It has been suffering through a painfully slow restoration for a couple decades now.   When I tore this car down, my toy was a 70 SS Chevelle with a transplanted L-72 - oh to have that back...   I transferred this car into my & my Son's name the day he was born in April 1985.   Even now at nearly 23, very few people believe him when he tells them about it...     I have been slimming my project cars down and after years of being tired of looking at them, I am getting excited about working on this again.   So, I'm back to collecting parts.   Oh, and I did have that L-72 in this car for a while.   I had never heard of a Yenko or a COPO at that point, it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

2nd is an O1A built '67 RS/SS L-48 4 speed coupe in Granada Gold / 711 Gold Deluxe interior.   I got this one as a "freebie - just haul that one off too" car when I bought a 68 RS car about 8 or 9 years ago.    I didn't realize what it really was until I got it home and my Son started reading codes.   My response was - "That's not funny".   I rechecked them and sure enough.   It's not going anywhere soon.

3rd is an 11B built '67 RS/SS L-48 4 speed Convertible in Granada Gold / 711 Gold Deluxe interior.   I just bought this one and it looks like I have bookends now.   This one is a true project ( from Hell probably ), but will provide a neat home for all the cool options I have collected over the years.

Lastly is an obituary.    My '69 RS/Z-28 triple black car.    It was totaled and parted somewhere around 1984.    If I knew then what I know now, I would have fixed it.   It was the victim of a T bone by a drunk.   Bent pretty bad.    Picture the time - I was 22 and had a '70 SS Chevelle under restoration in the garage, a '68 SS396 Chevelle in the driveway, a '72 SS Chevelle as a daily driver, the previously mentioned L-78 and another '68 RS/SS 396 car sitting beside the garage.    Why keep a wrecked Z ?   There must have been 10 of them in town at the time.    To have known then what I know now.   Live and learn I guess.

Dave

Ed Ernst

• View Profile
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 02:12:10 AM »
Welcome aboard, Dave.  Nice lineup of Camaros.  I have a soft spot for gold cars myself ;).
1967 SS/RS convertible - LA 12A built

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 05:45:45 PM »
Welcome!  This site IS the greatest!  I've had several myself... The last being a 69 convert.  I'm still kicking myself for selling it. 
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

4ZNOW

• You must be fast u were haulin when I passed you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 07:22:34 PM »
Welcome!Welcome!To CRG Forum We all share the same IDEA's about are Frist GEN Camaro's Let's Restore or Rebuild Every one  We can. I'am Working on a 69 Z28 :o
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 07:27:45 PM by 4ZNOW »

MQ

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 02:06:44 AM »
Thanks for the welcome !   For 25 years, I thought most everything was pretty much the same on all 3 years.    I had no idea how wrong I was.    What a great resource !

Thanks Ed on the Gold cars.   They will be a great pair.

Dave

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 05:50:06 AM »
2nd is an O1A built '67 RS/SS L-48 4 speed coupe in Granada Gold / 711 Gold Deluxe interior.   I didn't realize what it really was until I got it home and my Son started reading codes.  

Welcome Dave!

One comment - unless this car has the original engine or trans, it could have been a L30/M20 if it's a 2L 4P car.

Kurt S
CRG

MQ

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 12:38:31 AM »
Thanks Kurt,  I appreciate the Welcome !   

When we decoded the car I figured I should make the trek across town and ask the guy exactly what it is / was.   He explained that his brother bought the car to part out for $$$ and that it was indeed an SS.   At that time I was smart enough to ask if anything was still laying around for it & took home one front fender ( with emblems ) and the SS gas cap.    He still had the hood, but wanted way too much for it.    Seems cheap today.

Dave

anything