Author Topic: Firewall Pad  (Read 5317 times)

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
Firewall Pad
« on: December 14, 2007, 08:52:47 PM »
I'm making an attempt to install the firewall pad in my coupe. Before I break all the push buttons that hold it to the firewall...is there a trick I have yet to try to push them through the holes?  So far I've tried to push them through with my palm, a punch thats fits the inside of the button and even tap them with a hammer.  All they do is fold over or the end point pops open.  The pad comes from Rick's and is RePop for the brand. 
Thanks, Joe
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

68Zproject

• View Profile
Re: Firewall Pad
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 12:38:12 AM »
I had a screwdriver with a blunt end and used that to push it most of the way into the hole, then I pulled it out from the engine side.
68Z28

fireZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 01:11:56 AM »
I put a very small amount of trans fluid on mine to slip them in.
1968 Z28 LA Built
LIC # RPO Z28

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 01:14:08 PM »
I tried the blunt end thing, that's what poped the end off.  I'll try the trans fluid thing.  I might drill the hole out to the next size for my next attempt after that.
Thanks
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 03:58:25 PM »
In the plant, we used a tool similar in concept to the one in the photo below, made from a phillips screwdriver with the end rounded off and a washer brazed to the shank that left a shank slightly longer than the rubber retainer. The retainers were kept in a bench-top tray under a heat lamp, and the ends were dipped in a 50-50 solution of water and Joy soap just prior to installation. The guy on the inside pushed the retainer through the dash mat and the dash panel (the tool allowed the retainer to stretch just enough to reduce its diameter and the washer limited the stretch so it didn't rip), and the guy on the outside grabbed the tip with a pair of duckbill pliers and pulled it until it seated fully.  :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 04:18:27 PM »
Thanks John!  :-* It's all so obvious now!  I never thought of warming them or welding a stop onto the shank of a screw driver!  You know what I'll be doing as soon as I hit the post button!!!  I love this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 09:47:02 PM »
John Thanks for that tip! Pad is installed!  I ended up shortening a philips screw driver and using the end of the handle as the washer. I left just about a 1/8 of an inch before the button touched the handle so it could streatch when I pushed.   It worked like downtown.  Did'nt even have to warm them or soap them. 
Joe
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe