Author Topic: The "Coil bracket Quiz"... Finally here  (Read 6307 times)

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
The "Coil bracket Quiz"... Finally here
« on: December 08, 2007, 06:27:57 PM »
OK so I'm bored...   SS 350 with cowl induction

#1 Was on the car when I got it... black paint under silver.  Coil hit the back of the air cleaner.

#2 I purchased from a "specialty shop"... promised as a "correct" cowl coil bracket.  Note the oval slot on the right.  Had to hack it out to make it wide enough to fit.
     Still rubbed the air cleaner

#3 This one I got for free with a #293 coil I bought just as "backup".  It has a slotted but curved mounting hole on the right side.  More importantly, and hard to see is a
     ~1 1/2" notch cut out on the right side of the bracket.  It also tilts so much that it can not sit straight on a flat surface.  Has the greatest degree of tilt.  There was NO
     Plating left on it so I just shot some silver paint on it.  The part number I got from Jerry's book but can not confirm it from another picture

#4  One of these recently sold in a box on ebay with the part number I noted.  It was described as a "correct cowl coil bracket" but I do  not believe this to be true.
     Seems to be very similar in angle to #1 and #2 although it is a bit shorter in height than #1  I think this part number would be for V8's without Cowl induction.

OK so any comments would be fun to see...
Gary 9T4Z

94Z rag blower 491 rwhp (now 505!)
69 Pace Car, 70RS,91Z,91RS

sam

• View Profile
Re: The "Coil bracket Quiz"... Finally here
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 08:40:37 PM »
The person you need to contact is Jack Seidner. M21RSZ28@verizon.net He helped me quite a bit on the correct coil brackets to use. I believe the numbers on the coil designate the bracket that should be used for the application. Give Jack a hollar. He is a nice guy. Lives in California.  Sam

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 11:49:34 PM »
I believe the numbers on the coil designate the bracket that should be used for the application.

The number embossed on the coil is just for the coil itself; none will match the number in the Camaro assembly manual, as the coil was furnished to the plant as an "assembly", including the mounting bracket pre-installed on the coil, and that "assembly" had a separate part number. The mounting brackets were available in Service, but carried a totally different part number than either the coil or the "assembly" (coil and bracket).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 01:51:20 AM »
John... do you have any idea if the "notched" version with the steep tilt  (#3) would be the correct one for any/all cowl cars?
Gary 9T4Z

94Z rag blower 491 rwhp (now 505!)
69 Pace Car, 70RS,91Z,91RS

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 04:02:00 AM »
Doesn't a 298 coil have a different bracket then say a 293 coil. Doesn't the 298 coil and the bracket used for that number have a different offset degree than say the 270 or 293 coil and bracket?  Sam

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 06:11:19 PM »
John... do you have any idea if the "notched" version with the steep tilt  (#3) would be the correct one for any/all cowl cars?

I expect that's the correct bracket for use with coils installed on ZL2 cars; the original coil on my '69Z with ZL2 clears the rear lower edge of the air cleaner base by about 3/8" - 1/2".
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

gro51

• 68 SS/RS 350
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 01:53:18 AM »
Interesting.. I've always wondered if I had the correct bracket for my '68 SS/RS 350.  I can only adjust my timing so far and then the distributer cap hits the coil.  I guess I have the wrong coil bracket.
Joe
Schodack, NY

'68 SS/RS 350, M21, 3:73, Rallye Green, Black Deluxe Interior

anything