Author Topic: Should I restore 67 RS conv to original factory condition?  (Read 14280 times)

Balaclava

• View Profile
    • LaFlamme Family Photo Albums
Should I restore 67 RS conv to original factory condition?
« on: December 03, 2007, 03:47:40 AM »
Hi Everyone, I purchased a 1967 Camaro RS Convertible in June of 1978 from the original owner. It was mostly original with a second paint job that was well worn and a newer (at the time) 350 2 barrel carb engine. I drove the car for the first year then started a complete restoration. Over the next couple of years I gutted the entire car and had it sandblasted (except the outer flat body panels). I primed the whole car and painted everything except the outer body panels. I completed all the bodywork except the installation of the right rear quarter panel. I have a replacement panel ready to be installed. I rebuilt the front suspension with new springs, ball joints, shocks and many other new parts. Installed all new brake and fuel lines. I found an original 1967 Camaro 327 210 hp engine that I rebuilt and installed. I ran it for about a half hour. I then put the car in storage for over 20 years without working on it. I recently brought it home and it is now in my garage where I see it everyday. I’m now thinking of starting work on it again. I recently purchased a package from GM Canada Vintage Vehicle Services. After I gave them the VIN they gave me the following information about my car.

Vehicle:      1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Trim:      760 Black
Paint:      C – Ermine White
Top:      2 - Black
Production Plant:   Norwood, OH
Production Date:   January 4, 1967
Shipping Date:   January 5, 1967
Model Number:   12467 – V8 convertible
Engine:      327 CID 210 HP 2bbl Turbo Fire V8
Dealer:      Central Chevrolet Ltd. Toronto
Number  Imported
For Sale in Canada
(same model no. only)   1,325

Options:
A31   Window Electric Control
C05   Folding Top
C06   Folding Top Power Lift
D55   Front Compartment Floor Console
G80   Limited Slip Differential
J50   Brakes: Vacuum Power
M35   Transmission: Powerglide Automatic (2 Speed)
N40   Power Steering
P01   Wheel Trim Cover
P58   Tire: 7.35-14-4 PR – HWY – W/WALL
U63   Radio: AM Pushbutton
V48   Engine Coolant – Increased Protection (Antifreeze)
Z22   Package: Rally Sport (RS)
Z23   Interior Décor Package

This information matches up with everything I know about the car. I am now trying to decide whether to restore it back to the condition and options it originally had when it came off the assembly line or restore it to the way I want it. I’m not talking about any custom work. I want to keep it in a condition that it could have been ordered as. I want to change the colour to a different factory colour, add a few options I collected over the years such as factory cruise control, fold down rear seat and a remote driver’s side mirror. One option I am surprised that it doesn’t have is the custom interior. Since it needs an entire new interior I would like to make it custom.

What do you guys think? Would it affect the value of the car if I made these changes? I don’t plan on selling it any time soon but I would like to keep the value up just in case I decide to sell it. The original engine was a V1230ME and the engine I installed in it is a V0525ME. Not exactly a matching date for a 12E built car. All other numbers and dates match. I plan to use the car as a good weather summer car and maybe show it at some local car shows. Thanks for you input.
Paul
1967 RS Convertible

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: Should I restore 67 RS conv to original factory condition?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 11:28:24 AM »
Your car, your decision. Since only Canadian cars can be easily documented as to original equipment I would tend to keep it close to original. Good luck, post photos.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

67ModTop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 01:43:38 PM »
Keep it original! ;D

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 04:36:06 PM »
I would also vote for keeping it original.  But it is your car to do with as you wish.  I'm just an origianlity kind of guy.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 05:13:39 PM »

Balaclava

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 05:41:23 PM »
It looks like it is unanimous to keep it original. Maybe I should have reworded the question. How much difference in actual dollars would the changes I suggested affect the resale value of the car considering I have good verifiable documentation showing all the original options.
Paul
1967 RS Convertible

onlytherich68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 01:53:49 PM »
Just my 2 cents worth but, If you have a numbers matching car and you have documentation, personally I think you owe it to the Camaro and the Camaro community to keep that sucker original. You can certainly make reversable, non prermanent changes to suit your needs however. With fewer and fewer real Camaros in existence originality becomes more and more important. There are enough non matching cars out there to resto-mod without taking a truly original car and changing it. To me an original car after 40 years is far more impressive than a car that someone hot rodded with common parts from AutoZone...

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 02:07:44 PM »
How much difference in actual dollars would the changes I suggested affect the resale value of the car considering I have good verifiable documentation showing all the original options.
That's a difficult question to answer unless you know who will want to buy the car in the future --a collector, a driver, a hot rodder. or some combination of all.  A non-original motor does make for some limits to collectors. But right now, it's a convertible and they are going up and up in value (and probably makes it more appealing in the driver market).  Most of the things you metioned would probably increase the value.  But I do want to caution you about color.  If you are going to sell it someday using your documentation as a big point, then taking it back to original color will cost the new buyer thousands.  But for a lot of potential buyers, let's face it:"paint it red and they will come..."
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Balaclava

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 02:12:21 AM »
Thanks Phillip, that is what I thought. How did you know I was thinking of painting it red? If I had the original engine I probably would restore it to factory original condition but because I don’t, I’m thinking of adding as many options as I can but making sure I keep it in a condition it could have been ordered as. The engine I rebuilt and most of the extra option I have came from another 67 convertible that I owned 25 years ago. I bought it as a daily driver shortly after I started restoring my RS. Less then a month after I bought it I was rear ended and the car was totalled. In a 5 year period starting over 30 years ago I had owned 5 1967 Camaros, 2 coupes and 3 convertibles. I sent 3 of them to the scrap yard and kept many spare parts.
Paul
1967 RS Convertible

67L48

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 08:06:39 PM »
My experience is that if it's not original, then it's not worth money.  So, restoring it to what it would have looked like when new will be worth a lot less than making a red RS/SS with Z/28 stripes, 20"+ aluminum rims,  and a 383, 454, or 502 crate motor.  If you plan on showing the car, the orginal treatment wouldn't impress very many -- the bastardized monstrocity will win you trophies.

It all comes down to your preference and your plans.  If you really are building to sell, then it will be much tougher to get value out of the properly restored 327/210 non-SS car than building a "never existed from the factory" combo of exotic features, modern conveniences, bling, and lots of power.

Good luck.

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
PG, factory air, console, fold down rear seat, PS, PB, butternut yellow, #s matching, original manual/warranty/POP, <60K miles
Northeast Iowa

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 12:46:43 AM »
Keep it original!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 02:11:16 AM »
Original! Please!
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

67convTnT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 01:01:25 AM »
I have a 67 convert also but the original color code is Granada Gold, unfortunatley I think that is a very 'ugly' color.  I want to restore with the black factory style paint, so I staying true to the factory color just not the one mine originally came with.

Thanks,
TJ

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 04:06:27 AM »
With the documentation you have I would keep it original.   My 69 has black stripes instead of white, yes I know it's wrong but "I" like it that way.   The main thing is that it's your car do what "YOU" want with it.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 05:54:30 AM »
My 2 cents is KEEP IT ORIGINAL!!!  Convertibles are a precious few left because there weren't that many made anyway--especially a '67 Rally Sport. I agree with rich68--why hotrod a convertible? They're heavier, you'll twist the body into a pretzel if you don't tie the frames, and it's just wrong to destroy the car's character in my book. Either way, good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

anything