Author Topic: SS Non X Code Cars  (Read 4631 times)

camaromaniac

• View Profile
SS Non X Code Cars
« on: November 29, 2007, 11:55:58 PM »
Hi guys,
Okay, I normally hang out over at tc, but I'm looking at making a trade and want to make sure the car (1969 SS) is a REAL SS!  Let's start with what I think constitutes a real SS car and you guys can confirm or correct me and also let me know what else I missed.  For starters, a real small block non X code SS car would have the 300 hp 350 coded motor, either a TH350 or (in this case) a Muncie 4 speed, and a 12 bolt posi rear end.  Would have the SS Hood springs (28 coils), power steering, front power disc brakes and YA coded 14" x 7" wheels.  Did all SS's come with the consol mounted gauge package and WHAT DID I GET WRONG & OR WHAT ELSE can I use to ID a real non X coded SS car?  Thanks everyone.  Charlie

tim69camaro

• View Profile
Re: SS Non X Code Cars
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 01:02:20 AM »
I am new to all of this as well, but I can share some of what I have seen. Small block SSs are more difficult to determine. Check the transmision and engine VINs to confirm they match the car. Look for dual fuel lines and brackets in the proper location for disc brakes. Look for the crayon x code behind the rear seat, but since this is a small block car it will not confirm anything unless it does not match and that would confirm the car was not matching. Big block cars are x22 or x66 while small block cars are not. I would also check the dates and numbers on the brake booster and the rear end to see if the match the dates for the cowl tag and the VIN. You can check these dates against the information on the CRG web site to confirm if everything matches. If things don't match there would be more concern. Any paper work for the car may be the only way to confirm it is an SS with a small block, so without it nothing is certain. Again being new at this hopefully someone else will fill in any gaps or correct any errors.
Tim Bailey

gro51

• 68 SS/RS 350
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 01:35:46 AM »
"Did all SS's come with the consol mounted gauge package"

NO
Joe
Schodack, NY

'68 SS/RS 350, M21, 3:73, Rallye Green, Black Deluxe Interior

69LM1

• View Profile
    • http://www.69lm1.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 04:22:54 AM »
Also, in the pre X code cars, there was the LM1 RPO, which can have all of the same signs of a small block ss (even down to the chrome air cleaner lid!), other than the hood springs, ss hood and 300 hp engine. The LM1 suffix codes were "H" codes as well, so make sure that you are careful.

Although, of course

:)

Rich
Rich Pern
2012 Mustang Boss 302
69 COPO Camaro "Tin Soldier"
70 Z28 COPO
69 Camaro 307. Orig car from High School

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 07:39:52 AM »
A 69 SS could have a powerglide or a 3 speed manual too. 69 SS powerglide cars often had 10 bolts.
Power steering was optional.
Could have XT wheels.
Kurt S
CRG