Author Topic: Texaco Crushes a 68!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 13054 times)

wtexz10

• View Profile
Texaco Crushes a 68!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: November 24, 2007, 01:06:40 AM »
 >:(
I was just watching the pre-game for the Mavericks when a Texaco commercial came on which shows a blue 68 getting crushed at a wrecking yard.  I'm not sure what to think of this?  I don't think this is going to motivate me to buy their gas.

Kris
69 Camaro Z10.. 72 GMC C1500
79 Mazda RX7.. 79 Trans Am WS6
06 Corvette Z06.. 10 BMW 650i

Chris_Pisane

• View Profile
Re: Texaco Crushes a 68!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 01:51:45 AM »
Having been a Camaro lover for over 30 years,I hate it when camaros get destroyed,even in a movie or commercial.

I remember in the movie Christine, Buddys 67 camaro got burned up. I think it was a 67.

I have many mopar friends and they like to rub it in, that in the movie Vanishing Point, they destroyed a  68 Camaro instead of the Challenger.

In Walking Tall part 2 they  tore up a camaro.

At least in American Graffiti they rolled a 4 door.I think ,my memory is starting to go. >:(

For some reason it didnt bother me that in the movie gone in 60 seconds that the mustangs got tore up.

Can anyone else think of any more movies or commercials where camaros were disrepected ;D
Chris Pisane....Fathom green 69 z/28 ,Lemans blue 69 JL8 Z/28 http://cpisane.photosite.com/

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 04:31:57 AM »
a first gen was wrecked in the football movie "remember the titans" don't remember which year.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 06:10:24 AM »
Ya.  there is a car insurance ad, I think it's Allstate where a 1st gen vert gets driven off a cliff.  They show it in reverse like it's all new again after the accident because they work with you to get it fixed just like it was before.  I look at that and think if I sold my car and somebody used it for that, I would be in jail.
68Z28

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 10:07:32 AM »
Can anyone else think of any more movies or commercials where camaros were disrepected ;D

How about....

DEATH WEEKEND
          aka
HOUSE BY THE LAKE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canada. 1976.
Director/Screenplay – William Fruet, Producer – Ivan Reitman, Photography – Robert Saad, Special Effects – Tony Parmalee, Art Direction – Roy Forge Smith. Production Company – Quadrant Films.
Cast:
Brenda Vaccaro (Diane), Chuck Shamata (Dr Harry Blatt), Don Stroud (Lep), Don Granberry (Stanley), Kyle Edwards (Frankie), Richard Ayres (Runt)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plot: Model Diane accompanies a dentist friend Harry to his country house to join several others for a weekend-long party. On the way there, Harry allows her to take the wheel of his Ferrari and she engages a gang of petty hoods in a 1968 Z/28 in a chase, which ends with the hoods crashing off the road. The gang leader Lep swears vengeance. Up at the house Diane discovers that there are really no other guests and all that Harry wants from her is sex. And then the gang come, invading and smashing up the house.

Death Weekend hits in from the very first scene where an innocent turn at the wheel on Brenda Vaccaro’s part turns into a high tension chase sequence (Ferrari vs 1968 Camaro Z/28) with Don Stroud and his thugs.

The Camaro equal to the famous Mustang chase scene in "Bullitt".     ;D

Paul

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 10:24:45 AM »
The Camaro equal to the famous Mustang chase scene in "Bullitt".

Just for fun here's the "Bullitt" chase scene!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36MFh4of6lE

Turn up the volume!     ;D

Love all those California black plates!     :)

Paul

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 10:48:01 AM »
O.K., I just found a small clip from "Death Weekend"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnXZVJVL2KQ

After viewing the clip the Ferrari is a Corvette and the '68 Z/28 is a '67 Camaro!    ???

So much for copying and pasting from the web.     :P

Paul

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 01:28:58 PM »
didnt they crash a 69 yenko replica in the movie fast and furious 2? ???
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 06:20:48 PM »
But in this case we didn't even get to see a chase seen or a crash!  Just a camaro getting destroyed.  It's like watching someone get shot by fireing squad.   ???

Kris

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 07:08:03 PM »
With Chroma key and other forms of digital editing, there is no need to be destroying any classic car anymore!

BTW, interesting pieces of movie trivia from that Bullitt chase scene:
The in town, downhill part of the chase using multiple cameras and multiple cuts looks like Bullitt passes the same VW Beetle four times!
Count the number of hubcaps that fly off the Charger.  Must have been a six wheel car...

Thanks for sharing those scenes, Paul.

"Don't crush... wreck... submerge them.  Restore them!"
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 07:13:51 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 12:45:56 AM »
BTW, interesting pieces of movie trivia from that Bullitt chase scene:
The in town, downhill part of the chase using multiple cameras and multiple cuts looks like Bullitt passes the same VW Beetle four times!

Same goes for the white Pontiac Firebird!  It's all over San Francisco!     ;)

Paul

cabinrange

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 04:34:11 PM »
Don't forget the "French Connection"
In one scene ,Gene Hackman; a.k.a. "Popeye Doyle"; investigates an accident scene where two young kids are killed.
They total out a brand new 1968 SS Camaro. I can tell it's an SS because of the stacked hood louvers. I can't see the tail panel; to see if it's blacked out or not; so it may or may not be a 396. The movie was released around '68 or '69; so the car was new.

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 01:11:28 AM »
Just as I was starting to get over the shock of seeing the 68 destroyed by Texaco,  I decided to take my wife to see "American Gangster" at the movies.  A couple of hours spent relaxing would be good therapy.

Then it happened!  Right in the middle of the movie a perfectly good 65 Shelby Mustang 350H gets blown up and torched.  Why must it be pony cars?

Now I'm afraid to watch TV or go to the movies.

Kris

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 06:01:58 PM »
I'm just glad it wasn't a 69.
Learning more and more about less and less...

huggerorange

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 04:47:58 PM »
Does anybody think the texaso Camaro crush scene is computer animation? Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but toward the end of the wrecking yard scene, when the steel jaws are lifting the Camaro upward, it looks like there's a blur in the stainless steel trim around the back glass - like a computer graphics glitch. I've seen the commercial several times during NASCAR races. Any computer experts out there who have seen this commercial?

anything