CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2014, 03:18:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
103645 Posts in 12180 Topics by 4697 Members
Latest Member: greygoose01
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Maintenance
| | |-+  3 Speed Trans Rebuild
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 3 Speed Trans Rebuild  (Read 2419 times)
stovebolt

1968 Sport Coupe

View Profile Email
« on: November 18, 2007, 08:12:05 AM »

I have a question regarding the synchronizers on my 3 speed trans but this question can apply to 4 speeds also. I'm rebuilding my trans using all NOS GM synchronizers, gears and blocking rings, all in perfect condition. The 1st and reverse synchronizer slides very nicely but the 2nd and 3rd less smoothly. The GM shop manual says that the synchronizer assembly (hub and slider) is a matched set and must be kept together. No problem, I haven't mixed them up. My question is, is the circular location of the slider on the hub matched also? If so, then there's probably a mismatch there as I've removed the slider from the hub without marking the relationship. Is it just a question of trying out the slider on each of the 30 different splines on the hub to find the smoothest combination. Or are there other ways to ensure a smooth sliding action. All comments and suggestions are appreciated. Sorry about the long-winded question, but I want to get this right the first time. Thanks for any help provided.
68Zproject

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 12:19:35 AM »

Did you get he spring keepers in evenly?

68Z28
stovebolt

1968 Sport Coupe

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 07:28:50 PM »

Yes, the three keys are sitting properly and the two key springs are not hooked into the same key as noted in the shop manual.
68Zproject

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 08:19:20 PM »

I'm not a tranny expert, I've taken a few apart and put them together, but that's it.  My tranny was rebuilt and the sliders were very stiff at first and I could hardly move them by hand.  Now I've got about 500 miles on it and it moves a lot easier.

68Z28
Jerry@CHP
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 05:45:06 PM »

GM blocking rings are not the best way to go.  98% of them do not fit on the cone part of the gear properly.  You should be able to mix and match these parts all the time.  We do a lot of transmissions at CHP and never had issues like this but we use aftermarket parts from a vendor in Detroit.

Jerry
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: