Author Topic: 69 SS determination  (Read 12933 times)

tngmotorsports

• View Profile
69 SS determination
« on: January 09, 2006, 02:45:41 AM »
Hey All:  At the risk of beating a dead horse, I'll ask all of those on this site that seem to know. I just brought home a 69 SS 350 project car for my wife. After having read most of the Q/A on the web, I see that there is no proof that this car is an actual SS ( in my ignorance i thought there would be a number indication in the vin or the cowl tag). Unfortunatley there is no build sheet, original motor, etc. It does have power disc brakes, 5 leaf rear springs, cowl hood with the 28 coil spring hinges, 3/8 and 1/4 fuel lines, frame hanger for the dual exhaust, what appears to be a brake pressure regulator in the rear brake line, and unfortunatly a 10 bolt/posi.  The question is, What are the chances that this is a real SS and are there any other determining facts that will prove the pedigree or lack of.

Thanks in advance for all of the reat info

JERRY

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: 69 SS determination
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 06:51:27 AM »
Could you post the VIN, cowl tag, and axle code (see Decoding for a sketch)?
Kurt S
CRG

tngmotorsports

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 04:37:43 PM »
Kurt: the vin is124379L511149,  cowl tag reads  ST 69 12437 LOS190420  BDY
                                                               TR 712            59  B      PNT
                                                                  12A             A732                   the 1 in the 12A code is partially obscured by the tag rivet, but it appears that it is a 1. I see by the decoding sheets that it was a lime mist green(wife's not happy about that), with a black stripe or black vinyl top?, and custom black interior. I'm still scraping gunk on the rear end to find the axel codes, will post when available.   thanks   Jerry

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 08:08:48 PM »
A few weeks too early to easily tell.

You looked on top of the gas tank for the broadcast sheet?
Kurt S
CRG

tngmotorsports

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 07:06:07 AM »
no luck on broadcast sheet on top of the tank or under the rear seat, no tag on the glove box door either. whats a few weeks too early to easily tell?

thanks

Jerry

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 09:39:12 AM »
After 1/1/69, any dual fuel line car had to be an SS.
No trans, right?  Let us know when you find the axle code.
Kurt S
CRG

tngmotorsports

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 07:15:10 PM »
no luck on the axle codes either, i've stripped the passener side axle tube to bare metal, no stamped numbers exist. the center section has some casting numbers but they dont jive with the examples on the axle ID page. suspect that the rear end has been changed as well, It has aftermarket lowering blocks installed. By your last post I assume that the body was started at fisher in the first week of Dec. 68, not Dec. of 69?   I will look for the trans code, but I'm prety sure it's probably been changed as well.

thanks again for the help
Jerry

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 07:38:55 PM »
It's indeed a possibility that the 10-bolt came with the SS.  Probably with a powerglide.

This was discussed in one of the Camaros.net forums a few weeks back....

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 09:23:51 PM »
Camaronut,
I know, I'm the one that discussed it. :)

Jerry,
What's the casting # of the center section? Could be a F-bird part.
Kurt S
CRG

tngmotorsports

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 04:47:56 AM »
Kurt:   looking at the center section from the rear, at about the 5 oclock position, the numbers D238 with 9793019 below are cast in where the axle tube joines the center section. At the 8 oclock position, is what appears to be a circle of 12 raised bumps with a dial cast in pointing to the 9th bump. At the 10 oclock position above the axle tube, a large reversed C is cast into the center section. Firebird part?

thanks again for the effort

Jerry

tngmotorsports

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 07:00:36 PM »
Kurt:  I was looking at other adds in Hemmings for 69 SS camaros and noticed an add that mentions the code 59 lime mist green as a desirable color and that all SS built in Los had a special work order number on the trim tag. could the A732 on my trim tag be this special order number? I noticed in the decoding page that this number doesn''t decode. The add also mentions that the car had both correct brake proportioning valves? My car looks to have some kind of valve at the master cylinder and another in the rear brake line just below the drivers door.

thanks again.

(Still hoping I have an SS and didn't get screwed)

Jerry

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 07:56:06 AM »
That is a Pontiac axle, cast in April of 68.
Here's where a Pontiac axle is stamped, backside of other tube.

59 is Frost Green, as popular as Garnet Red or Daytona Yellow, about 7% of 69 Camaros.
Whatever you want to call it, A732 is just an internal Fisher Body code....

That  brake valve was also used on non-SS cars.

Not really much to go on. From what's there, only evidence of being an SS is the hood springs. Everything else indicates an SS or a LM1 (ordered with discs and duals).  Odds are slightly in your favor of being an SS, but doubt you'll ever know for sure. Nothing that would prove it to another buyer at least....
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 07:58:27 AM by KurtS »
Kurt S
CRG