Author Topic: Rear Seat Removal  (Read 11240 times)

shift1313

• View Profile
Rear Seat Removal
« on: January 09, 2006, 12:05:50 AM »
Hey guys.  Im in the process of stripping down my 68 and i was just wondering how you guys get the rear seat out.  I can see under the front of it how it "latches" but is it bolted in the rear?  Also I was wondering about the dash.  How much can you take apart.  Sorry if these are stupid questions.
Thanks
ps here is a blurry pic of my weekends progress.

here is a pic of the A pillar. I found the stock island teal in more then a few places.  mostly the window trim and also the doors.  Whoever painted the car painted the bottom 1/4 of the windows:(.

I finally got into the trunk and I found the schrader valves for the air shocks and pumped them up.  Gives the car a little more attitude.

also has anyone run their cars without front or rear bumpers.  I think it really cleans it up without the bumpers on.

I did find a few things during the tear down.  In both rear 1/4s I found for sale signs.  Must have been on the rear windows and fallen through the window trim.  Also found a sticker on the cardboard glovebox.  Its a replacement and it was purchased in 95 or so.  That makes me think the car was restored then, but i also found a plaque in the trunk that was from a rod run back in 83.  If the car was redone in the 90s i can see how that little plaque made it back into the trunk.  I also found inspection reciepts from 96 and 98.  96 pink slip said 11k on it. 98s say 38k on it so someone did some real driving those 2 years.
thanks
matt

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Seat Removal
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 05:49:30 PM »
The rear seat cushion is retained only by the "hooks" on the floor pan at the front; just push rearward and up at the same time on the bottom of the cushion frame and it will disengage from the "hooks" and pull right out.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

shift1313

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 10:50:53 PM »
thanks for the reply. I will give that a try.  I just didnt want to force it and break it.  After the front seat was in such bad condition I wasnt sure about the rear.

Thanks

matt

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 02:27:28 PM »
The bolts you saw behind the seat hold the back section in. remove the bolts and the back is hanging on 2 hooks. just lift it up and off.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 09:38:51 PM »
Hope you had good luck getting that back seat out.  One word of caution from my 68.  When you put the seat back in, work it back in place gently.  Sometimes the hook and holder get brittle (mine did) and they will break if you force it.  Also, it may be difficult to get the seat to go all the way back.  But it will if you work it slowly.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

shift1313

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 12:29:06 PM »
thanks for the great tips.  I havent had a chance to work on it yet because ive needed to work on my daily driver but i have a 4 day weekend:)
thanks
matt

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 08:45:23 PM »
John,

Any tricks involved? I have popped one side loose, but just put my foot through the floor trying to pop the passenger side. Would the build sheet be in any specific area, or "somewhere" on the bottom of the seat? I can pull the drivers side up part way, and don't see anything there. I would love to know what I have.

Thanks!

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 02:56:15 PM »
John,

Any tricks involved? I have popped one side loose, but just put my foot through the floor trying to pop the passenger side. Would the build sheet be in any specific area, or "somewhere" on the bottom of the seat? I can pull the drivers side up part way, and don't see anything there. I would love to know what I have.

Thanks!

Tom

Nope, no tricks involved - just push the bottom of the seat frame rearward and up at the same time and it'll pop loose from the "hook" on the floor. Highly unlikely you'll find any paperwork under the rear seat.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 02:59:05 PM »
Thanks John,

I don't expect much, but might as well take a look.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

shift1313

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 12:18:42 AM »
I popped the seat out awhile back and it was simple once i put a little muscle to it.  I didnt find any paperwork under the rear seat or the front seats.  I completely dismantled the front seat and found the seat back frame to be cracked so atleast i caught that ;D