Author Topic: Help! I don't know how to weld!  (Read 9980 times)

onlytherich68

• View Profile
Help! I don't know how to weld!
« on: October 04, 2007, 04:26:49 PM »
I am about to get a new 68 convertible project and I will have to install new panels on her. I have never welded before but I'm sure I could pick it up. I am very handy and I can learn quickly. What is a good starting point on beginning welding? A good welding book? some practice sheet metal? What kind of welder do I need? Tig? Mig? whats the difference? Is it better to practice on doing the floor pans and let the professionals tackle the exterior pieces? Any help is greatly appreciated.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: Help! I don't know how to weld!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 05:02:36 PM »
Leave it to the pros, especially if you're using NOS sheet metal.  NOS sheet metal is just too expensive for you to be learning and practicing on.  Just my two cents.  Good luck with the restoration.   :)

Paul   

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 09:34:18 PM »
I got a junk fender from a local body shop to practice on, and I bought a decent grade mig unit, and a book. I'm not ready to do quarters yet, I need more practice. If I do not get good enough for the quarters I will have them done. Still cant hurt to learn and practice is learning.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 10:32:28 PM »
Everyone starts somewhere. With Toms' approach and attitude you could learn to fix anything.
Learning more and more about less and less...

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 11:34:07 PM »
Everyone starts somewhere. With Toms' approach and attitude you could learn to fix anything.

I got a junk fender from a local body shop to practice on.

Agreed, as long as you start as Tom did; with a junk fender and practice, practice, practice.  My point was not to "start" with a $1500 plus NOS quarter panel on your restoration project.  Gentlemen, start your MIG welders!    ;D

Paul       

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 01:24:43 AM »
Most local jr. colleges (and some 4 year) offer ROP (Regional Occupational Program) courses. Anything from home economics to astro physics! And they're usually dirt cheap.

You might check into that to get some basics out of the way.

Then yes, practice, practice, practice.

Ed

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 03:05:28 AM »
I agree with Ed...take a class at a local community college. It's not that expensive and you'll carry the knowledge and skill with you the rest of your life. I'd hate to think of what a pro would have charged me to weld in a floorboard patch on my '68 where a previous owner had mangled a gaping hole for a Mr. Gasket Vertical Gate shifter! Besides, your tuition will pay for the rods or feet of MIG wire you burn up as you practice..practice..practice...lol. Welding isn't hard at all--you just need a guiding hand and practice...practice...practice... Good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 02:25:36 PM »
Learn before you buy. Buy a book, take a class, learn from a buddy etc. Just understand what you are looking for before you purchase a mistake.

Good luck!

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

onlytherich68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 03:53:14 PM »
So, is buying a 68 convertible, plain Jane, Camaro that needs floors, trunk pans, quarters, wheelhouses, fenders but is a complete car with non-matching numbers for  $3500.00 a mistake? My fiance has an uncle and a father who welds....that could work in my favor if they are willing to help. It may take awhile to get it road worthy but I am not on a timeline. What do you guys think?

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 04:28:07 PM »
You know about the body work, but how about the motor and transmission?  How's the frame?  It may be a good deal for $3500 just for all the parts.  But what are you going to have to put into it?

This winter I plan to spend more on the car than I will ever get out of it...   ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 04:32:01 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Brandan

• 1969 Camaro SS 396 X-66 M22
    • View Profile
    • 1969 Camaro 396 SS M22
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 04:30:04 PM »
So, is buying a 68 convertible, plain Jane, Camaro that needs floors, trunk pans, quarters, wheelhouses, fenders but is a complete car with non-matching numbers for  $3500.00 a mistake? My fiance has an uncle and a father who welds....that could work in my favor if they are willing to help. It may take awhile to get it road worthy but I am not on a timeline. What do you guys think?

I don't think it is a mistake.  You will probably spend more on the car than what is is worth money wise but if you love the car and plan to keep it you will get more out of it than money will ever provide.  I myself am in the same situation.  I am looking at a 67 rs convert and will probably put 35-40K into it.  I may never recover the money put into it but I love the car and it is worth it to me.  good luck with what you decide.
Check out the 1969 ride!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676916/1

Check out the new project!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2960049

onlytherich68

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
It has a non matching 350 of unknown condition and a 3 speed manual. It is a console car with a missing console. I have yet to see the car, I am waiting on photos to help me decide as it is across country in Maryland. My plans are to build the car of my dreams and keep it a long time. I dont mind taking some time to do it. The floors are cut out and he has the replacement panels. It just seems that convertibles are getting harder and harder to come by for less than 5 or 6 thousand bucks and I want to at least have one that I am working on for now...
Tony

onlytherich68

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 05:32:37 PM »
Oh, and frame rails are solid BTW.

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 02:25:08 AM »
This winter I plan to spend more on the car than I will ever get out of it...   ;D ;D ;D
   What ever you think you will need to spend...double that figure.

Had to replace L + R wheel houses, trunk extensions and drops L+R, 1/4's, trunk lid, tail pan along with doing the 350 motor, auto trans and 12 bolt posi.  With the purchase of the car and the work so far, most of which I have done myself I'm knocking on $20K.

1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe