Author Topic: damaged cowl tag  (Read 5853 times)

mxkx250

• View Profile
damaged cowl tag
« on: October 01, 2007, 04:00:36 AM »
Hi people, new to this site. I was trying to remove the paint buildup on my cowl tag, many coats. I tool a brass wire wheel on a drill to it. Do not do this. I was unaware that it is made of soft material, plastic or aluminum. Anyway, I almost completely wiped out my 4P designation. I know that you can't get trim tags made up because of possibility of clones, but if I turn my original readable, although somewhat wiped out, could I get a replacement made?
Thanks for any help you may be able to give me.
1967 Camaro rs/ss
1998 Camaro SS

Claus

• View Profile
    • Yutivo
Re: damaged cowl tag
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 08:24:52 AM »
Keep your damaged original tag in place.

A repro trimtag in place in your car will always question the originality of your car.

Better to have a damaged original than a new repro trimtag.

mxkx250

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 12:24:21 PM »
Thanks for the opinion. I agree with you. I called Chevrolet and got a phone number for their archive department. They said for $50 per hour they would research my car and send any information. Do you know if this will pe productive? Do you think they woud have build sheet information?
1967 Camaro rs/ss
1998 Camaro SS

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 01:05:37 PM »
Two wrongs don't make a right.  Listen to Claus...  Post a picture of the tag!  Right now you are asking questions in the dark.

For example, you might get the research on your car done for free if you share the info. here.  Who did you talk to at Chevrolet?  They might send you most of the info. they spoke of for free.  It depends...  Where was your car built?
Look here:
http://www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml#InfoSources
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Claus

• View Profile
    • Yutivo
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 01:45:50 PM »
Thanks for the opinion. I agree with you. I called Chevrolet and got a phone number for their archive department. They said for $50 per hour they would research my car and send any information. Do you know if this will pe productive? Do you think they woud have build sheet information?
Chevrolet has no build sheet information for you.
Post the cars VIN, Trimtag and engine stamp here, the guys here at CRG are the best in the buisness.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 05:58:39 PM »
Call 800.222.1020 at Chevrolet, and they will provide for free (not the best quality) a lot of info about what was available. Can't beat the price.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 06:30:20 PM »
I think its good that they dont charge for those info packets becuase there really isnt alot new info or special info that they send you. Most of that stuff they send is already covered in books and brouchures. I was actually disappointed when I got mine. Just a bunch of photocopied papers, so dont get too excited.

GM of Canada is another story. IF the car was shipped to Canada, then you can get some pertinent info on your particular car.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise