Author Topic: WATER PUMP RETROFIT  (Read 3970 times)

hipokid

• View Profile
WATER PUMP RETROFIT
« on: September 28, 2007, 01:00:05 AM »
Hello, I have a 1967 SS/RS Camaro with the 350 engine. I need to replace the water pump, and I have a GM Performance water pump (Corvette Short Style) that I recently purchased. The pump has the larger hub with the 3/4 pilot. Does anyone know I will run into any alignment (or other) issues if I use this pump with a Corvette water pump pulley?

Thanks...Bill

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: WATER PUMP RETROFIT
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 03:31:34 AM »
All the water pumps were the same length until 1969, when Chevrolet went with the long pump--you should have no problem at all with alignment. The Vette pulley could be a different diameter and groove size, however,which could screw around with your belt length and thickness in regard to the other pulleys. Most hi-po engines used a thicker belt, which made the pulley groove both wider and deeper, and some were a larger diameter to slow down the water pump and alternator. If the groove width on the Vette pulley matches your other pulleys you should be okay. Good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Re: WATER PUMP RETROFIT
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 03:01:13 PM »
Be sure all pulleys are designed for, and correct for the same V belt. I'm guessing they are. I once had a belt problem years ago when a clerk at the local parts store sold me a V belt which was designed for a different size pulley (smaller) because "my belt was not in stock, but this one was" The belt I was sold was thiner for a smaller type Sheave (pulley) After about a month, it literally was hanging on by only the thin strip of metal which was in the center of the original belt. The reason? because it was thinner, it rode deeper on the sheave, and was force to turn at a radius tighter than it was designed for, resulting in its destruction in a very short time. Good luck.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.