Author Topic: L-89 pace car  (Read 14208 times)

cib12

• View Profile
L-89 pace car
« on: September 27, 2007, 04:59:12 AM »
found a 396/375 alum head pace car (in a barn)  38000 miles with docs( POP) dont know if the build sheet is there. car is all together and runs. what is the top end on these if restored correctly? It is a very interesting find to say the least. car is in good condtion-looks as it should- just a little worn with some rust.  carb is wrong and some very small stuff. (have 2 SS and a Z now)  just want some info on pricing

cib12

• View Profile
Re: L-89 pace car
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 05:09:29 AM »
another question about this car-if 311 L/89's were produced how many could have been pace cars(its a Z-11) my guess would be 10 or less?

67ModTop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 07:04:50 PM »
Pics pleeeezzzeee!!!! ;D

cib12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 04:20:46 AM »
owner will not let me take any pics- it is a running,driveing car- runs great, has small rust drivers floor pan where you feet would go, paint is a 7, top is very good, in reality a really good clean up and buff and it would be about an 7-8, really looks good.  he is a little strange to deal with, its for sure for sale but cant get firm price yet. looks to around 40. i would guess what is not orginial could be taken care of for less than 2000.  just like a coment on the 40 grand. i think that would be a steal and with more thinking it might be better to replace wrong componets and clean up and maybe leave the car alone and look for survivor status.

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 04:38:49 PM »
40k is less than half what a real L89 Pacecar is worth in No.2 (everyday driver) condition.  40K won't even get you a decent small block PC these days.

Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 11:53:43 PM »
Have Jerry MacNeish take a look at it before you touch anything on the car. Before you buy is even better....
Kurt S
CRG

cib12

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 01:27:18 AM »
i have been in the corvette world for 38 years and have had bloomington cars,L-88 ,etc ---i can match her up with the pop ok and get it bought(i hope-what ever the price is) . thanks for the advice to have jerry look at it before i even touch it- thats great advice an ad i thank you for that- after doing more research(not knowing how scarce this one is when i heard about it)- sounds like this i one of the scarced 69 camaros they produced-probably was not used at Indy but it was made in march  69   thanks to all and still good to hear more advice  thanks

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 02:36:24 AM »
Hello cib12,

An AL head L89 big block 69 Pace Car would be a very interesting find, but one that you should check out very carefully, at a $40K asking price.  However, $40K for a very nice Pace Car is not a bad price.  This summer, I helped a friend on mine, who lives in the local area (a suburb of Indy) sell a nice #7 out 10, original 350 sb, automatic, 69 Pace Car, for just over $40K, to another local car restorer that I know.

If you have not done so already, please check the CRG Research Report: "69 Pace Cars and Z10", www.camaros.org/69pacer.shtml.  This article states that the two (2) 1969 Pace Cars modified to pace the race were "blue printed" L89 Al head 396's, with automatics, power steering, sport-style steering wheels, consoles, gages and AM radios, and most importantly, the coveted service option JL8 four-wheel disk brakes, with 3:31 dif gears.  After assembly (form the Norwood plant), the two cars were shipped to the GM Tech Center for special teardown, inspection, and reassembly of the engines and transmissions.  The article goes on to state that the AL heads were replaced with L78 cast iron heads.

Just about anything is possible and someone could have very well special ordered (with some inside GM help) a L89 69 Pace Car.  If the seller will let you, document the VIN #’s from the engine and trans.  Get the build dates of these components along with the rear axle codes.  AND IF AT POSSIPLE, remove the valve covers and get the date code off those AL heads!   If you need help, the good people from CRG and the fraternity of CRG members can help you decipher these critical codes and dates.  Or, pick up Alan Colvin’s must have book, Chevrolet by the Numbers, 1965 – 1969, or any number of guides to help with this task.  PS: if you discover this Pace Car is outfitted with all the above noted options, and if the date and VIN codes check out, hand him $40K and run with this car!!

I know who has 69 Pace Car #1, and have many documentation photos of his car. Only the car’s exterior has only been cosmetically restored, otherwise it’s original.  The owner found and put an original set of L89 heads back on this car.  He learned that there was some concern over the durability of the AL heads so they were replace with the cast iron heads by the GM Tech center prior to deliver to the Indy Speedway.

Good luck with this car!  Keep us informed and if you buy it, please post pics! Here is a pic of the engine.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 03:19:31 AM »
All the #'s can match the POP, but that doesn't mean that the POP and the drivetrain are originals.....
Kurt S
CRG

cib12

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 04:17:55 AM »
from what i understand this could be a 2 owner car- it orginially came from  eastern USA

cib12

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 03:58:01 AM »
no it did not orginate in the east-it is in the east now--as most things end  the pop was fake-even the trim tag was replaced- to the eye it looked real- but the finial deal is, parts were acumulated for years to try to fool- guess he thought someone would purchase it with out checking it out- my balloon has burst- sorry

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 04:11:58 AM »
Sorry to hear this. But glad you caught up front.
If you have any pics of the tag and POP, I'd be interested. It may save someone some pain in the future....

Kurt
Kurt S
CRG

cib12

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 06:32:16 AM »
like i said the owner did not allow pics and did not want to show pop .checked serial# against build date and did not line up at all- motor was a restamp, after that he asked me to leave

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 07:16:15 AM »
Thanks! Like you needed encouragement to leave that mess behind.....
Kurt S
CRG

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 02:53:42 PM »
Sounds like the pace car that was advertised on ebay many times with the 4.10 rear end. the guy was a Corvette guy.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise