Author Topic: shoulder belt clips  (Read 3680 times)

hicky007ca

• View Profile
shoulder belt clips
« on: September 24, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »
Hello Everbody , I just recently (2 weeks) got myself a camaro of 68 vintage, the shoulder belts are just hanging down , I know and have the clips that hold them to the headliner , just not sure exactly were to put them? I have searched for holes behind the headliner with my fingers but can't feel anything, any suggestions as to how high or were they should be put? Also I believe this car was the VERY first camaro off the line for the 1968 model year , last six digits are 300001.

thanx
john

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: shoulder belt clips
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 07:36:30 PM »
John,

Sounds like an interesting find!  This may help you a bit:
http://www.camaros.org/options.shtml#ShoulderHarness

If your car is the first 68, then it was built in 67.  Shoulder belts were not required until January 1, 1968.  So, maybe your car did not have them, if you cannot find the holes.  At any rate, they would have been optional.  I have a late December car, and it does not have the belts or the holes.

Post pictures of your VIN and Trim Tag.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 07:47:21 PM »
I just recently (2 weeks) got myself a camaro of 68 vintage

Congratulations John!  '68s are my favorite.    :)

the shoulder belts are just hanging down , I know and have the clips that hold them to the headliner , just not sure exactly were to put them? I have searched for holes behind the headliner with my fingers but can't feel anything, any suggestions as to how high or were they should be put?

John, because your car was built so early in '68 model year the shoulder belts might (??) just hang down like the '67 shoulder belts did. (??)  Read this:  http://www.camaros.org/options.shtml#ShoulderHarness

The 1968 shoulder belts tuck behind the coat hook and metal guides (two on each side) above the front passengers' heads.  I roughly measured where my two metal guides are located from where the shoulder belt mounts inside: I got approximately 19" and 24.25".  Hope this helps.

Also I believe this car was the VERY first camaro off the line for the 1968 model year , last six digits are 300001.

Very cool!  Is it a Norwood or Los Angeles vehicle?

Paul     

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 05:15:40 AM »
I have a Nov. '67 built Camaro.  I am trying to add should harnesses.  After going to the junk yard and looking at the mounting holes, I was able to locate the main bolt holes.  I too cannot feel the clip mounting holes.  Unfortunately, there were only '69 Firebirds left at this "dismantler"...  There may have been one '68.  I wish I paid more attention to that one.  I didn't take pictures of it, either.  I think that may have been the one that didn't have clip holes.  The '69s had actual raised mounting locations (relative to the surrounding metal) and the two clip holes.  I should go back and check that non-69 car to see if it was the one w/o those raised areas.  For now, I'm going to just let them hang.  I just noticed my headliner is torn and will replace it when I paint the car.  So, I'll look more closely then if I can't find them in the mean time...  Let us know what you have found. 

Measurements are good.  I'll have to bring a tape w/ me next time...  I'll have to go back to CRG.  But I vaguely remember them only having pictures of '67 stuff.?.?

I know this is a late reply.  Kind of a thread bump...