Author Topic: Registry  (Read 19026 times)

clwilcox

• View Profile
Registry
« on: October 19, 2005, 12:42:52 PM »
With the change over to a newer, easier to navigate forums, it seems we have a lot more folks posting.  Is having information on as many cars as possible worth, in your opinion, perhaps a little extra time to add a form folks could fill out with information on their car?  Also, perhaps a sticky thread or similar notice in some parts of the forum, politely reminding/asking folks if they would please submit their car's data?

If so, is there anything I can do to help?

Christropher
1967 RS/SS 350......in pieces still.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: database
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 03:01:41 AM »
We took down the form a while back. The reason is the amount of time it took to proof and enter/format the data and respond to/with questions. I did it, it was a whole lot of work.
We (mainly Daniel and myself) continue to add cars to the db. With 10,000+ entries, simply keeping the database updated is a lot of work.  ;)
Kurt S
CRG

clwilcox

• View Profile
Re: Registry
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 11:26:30 PM »
Anything I can do to help, let me know.  In my original post, I was mainly thinking of an automated html form with a SQL backend to handle the database.  I think something workable could be created to alleviate some of the manual entry.

Either way, I'm happy to help with whatever, manual or not.  Send me an email anytime.
Christropher
1967 RS/SS 350......in pieces still.

Rich

• CRG Coordinator
  • 68 L30/M20 RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 03:15:09 PM »
The problem isn't manual entry on CRG's end.  We've got a large chunk of that automated - could do even more if the front-end wasn't a problem.  The problem is that data submissions 1) have to be typed by the human that is submitting the data - and that produces a lot of errors that can only be eliminated manually, and 2) the data itself has to be manually checked for reasonable validity to avoid corrupting our database with bad data, or to avoid losing odd (but correct) data that doesn't fit "norms".  Takes a ton of time.  I started the database, and early on took a couple of spells at being a data inputter, and it is truly draining.  Kurt (and now Daniel) have been carrying a heavy load for a number of years.  Truth is that there is no shortage of data.  Given their time available they have been focusing on data of high interest.  The database now contains about 1.5% of all the first-gens built, and given that most of those built are long gone, the number of recrods probably represents something like 15% - 30% of those that remain.
68 L30/M20 RS

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 05:10:45 PM »
i am new to the forum and own a 69 z (since 1977) and my current project, a frame off on my 67 rs/ss 350 that i have owned since 1984. how do i add these cars to the registry?
thanks
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 12:38:10 PM »
I guess I need to know the exact reasoning behind a database first, but..
How careful can we be with an automated database?
My fear would be people intruducing info to the database of their faked Camaros and then selling as them as the geniune article with this database as some sort of proof of their authenticity.
Is this a real concern?
-It's just something I immediately thought of that bothered me. :)

Would the database be for public viewing or more for the research of CRG?
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

67ss350camaro

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 02:25:12 PM »
i am new to the forum and own a 69 z (since 1977) and my current project, a frame off on my 67 rs/ss 350 that i have owned since 1984. how do i add these cars to the registry?
thanks
You can E-mail me the info and I will add it into the data base.  As a starting point you might want to download the decoder program (http://www.camaros.org/publicdecoder_v367.zip) and then e-mail me the file that it generates.
Daniel
CRG
67 RS/SS 350 auto (owned since 81.)
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
2012 1LS (V6 6-speed) Coupe (new work car)
My Camaro

67ss350camaro

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 02:32:35 PM »
I guess I need to know the exact reasoning behind a database first, but..
How careful can we be with an automated database?
My fear would be people intruducing info to the database of their faked Camaros and then selling as them as the geniune article with this database as some sort of proof of their authenticity.
Is this a real concern?
-It's just something I immediately thought of that bothered me. :)

Would the database be for public viewing or more for the research of CRG?

We do try and verify that the data we get is legit before it goes into the data base.  We also do not give out data from the data base without the owners permission.  To date, I don't think I have ever been asked about a car for sale, that was in our data base.
The data base is not public information and we have no plans on changing this policy.  We use the data for research purposes.
Daniel
CRG
67 RS/SS 350 auto (owned since 81.)
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
2012 1LS (V6 6-speed) Coupe (new work car)
My Camaro

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 09:36:17 PM »
Sound fair enough.. The "automated" registry just sounded like it was "unmanned", so it was my concern that maybe anything-goes as far as what information was submitted.  Thanks.
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

anything