Author Topic: CONSOLE GAUGE LOW FUEL MODULE  (Read 9366 times)

PACE&Z2869

• View Profile
CONSOLE GAUGE LOW FUEL MODULE
« on: January 05, 2006, 07:06:25 AM »
COULD SOMEONE CLARIFY FOR ME IF THE LOW FUEL LIGHT MODULE FOR MY 69 Z28 W/ CONSOLE GAUGES IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE A LIGHT BULB IN IT? W/ A BULB PLUGGED IN IT WONT FIT ONTO THE HOLE BECAUSE OF THE BELLOWS ON THE OIL PRES. GAUGE. DOES THIS MODULE NOT USE A LIGHT BULB BUT YET GETS PLUGGED IN BEHIND THE GAUGE ANYWAY? IF THIS IS THE CASE DOES IT TURN ON THE LIGHT IN THE DASH? JUST GOT MY CAR ALL PUT TOGETHER AND HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO TROUBLESHOOT BUGS YET. IF MY LOW FUEL LIGHT DOESN'T WORK COULD SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD BEFORE RESPOND? THANK YOU.
PACE&Z2869
PACE&Z2869

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: CONSOLE GAUGE LOW FUEL MODULE
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 01:35:48 AM »
No bulb goes into the module in the console on a Camaro.  The module lights up the FUEL lamp in the dash by providing a path to ground through the yellow lead wire when the fuel level gets down to 2 or 3 gallons.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

69z28302

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 03:10:29 AM »
I found the same thing on my 69 Z. Looked like a light bulb socket with a printed circuit board built into the bottom of it. So it does not use a bulb correct?

69Z28302

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 03:12:10 AM »
On mine some documentation said that this part was used in some other models of GM cars that may have used a bulb in the socket for some other application.  The Camaros did not use a bulb there.
68Z28

69z28302

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 03:17:02 AM »
Thanks for the info

camaromikey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 10:38:32 PM »
is there a way to make that module work with the in the dash guage?

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 12:10:15 AM »
The low fuel module does have what looks like a bulb socket(DO NOT INSTALL BULB). A friend of mine had just purchased a car and asked me to check it over, well what I found was that it had low oil pressure. After some diagnostics I found the previous owner had in fact installed a bulb in the low fuel module, which caused a mechanical interference with the oil pressure gauge, limiting the oil gauge from reading any higher than 20lbs.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 01:04:03 AM »
I don't understand how the low fuel module could be attributed to a defective oil pressure gauge. The gauge is mechanical. The only electrical in the oil pressure gauge is the light buib.

Ed

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 02:18:05 AM »
I don't understand how the low fuel module could be attributed to a defective oil pressure gauge. The gauge is mechanical. The only electrical in the oil pressure gauge is the light buib.

Ed

The bulb actually touched the oil gauges copper band. That curved band deflects proportional to the oil pressure. Since the bulb was touching the band (mechanically interfered), limiting how much it could deflect, hence limiting oil pressure reading to 20lbs.

Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 02:44:53 AM »
Oh, I get it. The bulb was physically keeping the gauge needle from moving past a certain point (20lb in this case).

thanks
Ed

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 03:09:55 AM »
You got it. I had a lot of fun isolating that problem. ;D
Steve Shauger