Author Topic: Dealer installed vinyl roof  (Read 6957 times)

Flowjoe

• View Profile
Dealer installed vinyl roof
« on: January 04, 2006, 06:29:26 AM »
Thanks to board member Dale Hubbard I just picked up a '69 307 car (AC, PS, PB-disc, TH-350, STD MG INT) from the original owner.  They told me that they had the dealer install the vinyl roof.  It looks just like a '68 vinyl roof (no body color reveal around the drip rail). 
First, anyone know how common place this practice was?  I know vinyl roofs were very popular back then but have no sense of how often a dealer would install rather than order from the factory.

Second,  I'd like opinions (I know, now I'v e asked for it).  When restoring the car should I replace the dealer installed top or omit it to match the original factory build?

fiveforty

• View Profile
Re: Dealer installed vinyl roof
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 01:37:22 PM »
Back then they did put vinyl tops on quite a bit. Chances are very good the Chevy dealer did not install the top themselves but was sent out to a local upolstery and trim shop. IMO leave it off.  Good luck on your resto.

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 02:11:26 PM »
...if there are dealer documents that indicate it did have the vinyl top installed, ...then it's a tough decision whether to put it back on or not. If there are no documents, ...then it's an easier decision.
  ...in either case it's definitely something to think about... (yeah, I know, ...I'm no help ... ::) )

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 03:25:17 PM »
Fiveforty:
 I have no doubt it was done off site from the dealer...I wonder if therewas beter profit on dealer installed items such as this versus ordering equipped cars.  I suspect the dealer made out like a bandit on dealer installed items (just like current dealers)
KevinK:
The owner was helpful but lacked ready access to his documentation (he ran the car through his business so it is all filed by year rather than in a car file).  He did say he found the original sales receipt and would send it along.  We'll see.  and yes, you are not much help ;D.

z10kl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 02:53:55 AM »
I think you would be setting yourself up for a lot of grief at car shows with a 68 style vinyl top on a 69. Even if it was 69 style I don't think I would do it. After all dealers put a lot of stuff on cars new but usually nobody puts it on in a "Factory Restoration" How many times have you heard that the Z stripes were dealer installed on non Zs and they were but that don't make it correct. Just my opinion.