Author Topic: package shelf board installation...  (Read 5282 times)

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
package shelf board installation...
« on: August 31, 2007, 03:36:25 AM »
I'm putting some of the interior back in my '68 now, and the rear package shelf has me puzzled. I'm using the jute insulation under the board and the board just doesn't want to go with the jute under it. Do I put the jute down, then bow the board in the middle and slide it in as an interference fit with the ledge at the back window? Or do I glue the jute to the board and install them as one piece? Or do I glue the jute to the package shelf first? I know the vinyl strip at the front of the board needs to be glued to the trunk divider board at final installation, but the fit is so tight now I can't get the doggone board into place with the jute under it for mock-up. My Fisher Body Manual is no help. What's the trick to this, guys? Thanks.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
Re: package shelf board installation...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 05:16:51 PM »
I put an NOS one in and it had no jute backing and it was a tight fit to get it in. I think the jute backing is what is holding you up.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 06:41:54 PM »
Use a wide putty knife and a thin piece of wool cloth (to prevent the blade from marking the shelf)... and patience.  I worked from one side to the other at just a very slight angle.

It took a while because mine was tight, too.  But it looks great --nice and snug without a mark on it.

Good luck! And work slowly...
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 02:25:07 AM »
I'm putting some of the interior back in my '68 now, and the rear package shelf has me puzzled. I'm using the jute insulation under the board and the board just doesn't want to go with the jute under it. Do I put the jute down, then bow the board in the middle and slide it in as an interference fit with the ledge at the back window? Or do I glue the jute to the board and install them as one piece? Or do I glue the jute to the package shelf first? I know the vinyl strip at the front of the board needs to be glued to the trunk divider board at final installation, but the fit is so tight now I can't get the doggone board into place with the jute under it for mock-up. My Fisher Body Manual is no help. What's the trick to this, guys? Thanks.
Like most re produced junk, the new jute backing is to thick comparied to the original stuff, I have had the same problems with a couple cars I did, fortunatley I was able to re use the original and threw the new stuff in the trash ! You may want to consider not using it, the package tray will never lay flat.
                                                                               Mike
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 03:25:43 AM »
Mike, I'm with ya 100% on the repro stuff. I've had endless headaches with aftermarket parts, but whatcha gonna do?  chuckle   OEM just isn't available anymore. I'm going to try it like Phil said...go slow and be patient. If it won't work, I can always use something thinner. Thanks for the advice, guys!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

anything