Author Topic: Help me with correct resto colors on a Qjet 7029202  (Read 16038 times)

Flowjoe

• View Profile
Help me with correct resto colors on a Qjet 7029202
« on: August 26, 2007, 07:00:53 PM »
I would like to get the various component colors correct when redoing this carb...could someone please post a picture (in color ;D) of a correct restoration or excellent condition original? 
thanks

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Help me with correct resto colors on a Qjet 7029202
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 07:11:31 PM »
I'm not sure if Jerry does Rochesters, but if he does talk to him. If not, talk to Eric at VINTAGE MUSCLECAR PARTS. I know he restores Rochester carbs.

Ed

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 09:00:03 PM »
JERRY DOES THEM. HE DID MINE AND IT LOOKS BETTER THAN NEW!
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 09:17:43 PM »
JERRY DOES THEM. HE DID MINE AND IT LOOKS BETTER THAN NEW!
Can you post a photo or two?

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 09:26:04 PM »
I'm not sure if Jerry does Rochesters, but if he does talk to him. If not, talk to Eric at VINTAGE MUSCLECAR PARTS. I know he restores Rochester carbs.

Ed

I know Eric from the second gen board.   

Here's the thing, I've got a local rebuilder that does bang up work (the carbs run fantastic and he can dial them in once installed) but he has only recently started doing "correct" restorations..that is plating adn all.  My core was bad but he had a core that he will rebuild for me.  I need to verify finishes so that the whole thing works out right.  If the I wasn't in the middle of a transaction with a guy I have a long term business relationship with then I would try Eric (as I hear nothing but good).  So, that is why I would like some photos so I can ge the finish dialed in on the carb we have in hand.   Any help out there?

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 12:56:16 AM »
This Q-Jet carb was restored by Jerry at CHP.  The finishes matched the original ones except for the cross-shafts.  Originally, they were a green color (some type of anti-friction coating), but they came back cad plated.  I wish that I had known beforehand that this 'change' was going to be made - I would have asked to leave the shafts alone.

68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 12:29:33 AM »
This Q-Jet carb was restored by Jerry at CHP.  The finishes matched the original ones except for the cross-shafts.  Originally, they were a green color (some type of anti-friction coating), but they came back cad plated.  I wish that I had known beforehand that this 'change' was going to be made - I would have asked to leave the shafts alone.
Thanks, those are very helpful.  I'm surprised that Jerry's company would plate something the wrong color...They seem to be so particular about all other finishes..perhaps it's not a duplicatable finish?  Yes, to bad you didn't know before...I'll keep it in mind.

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 03:45:30 PM »
Hi Jeff, this is a very old thread but I have a q or 2 regarding the pics of your carb.
All my forensic analysis of the cover over the hot idle compensator on a number of Rochester's, tells me that they were only zinc/cad plated, not yellow chromated?
Same goes for the secondary air valves and choke flap, I've never been able to find any evidence of yellow chromate on them either.

I think for certain that Jerry has one item not right on that carb, the screws that secure the air valves and throttle plate should be black?
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 10:58:38 PM »
When I worked for Rochester, the # of different plating processes was enormous. I don't know how many processes they used, but I recall many parts were similar, but not the same. Btw, they plated all the parts in-house.
Kurt S
CRG

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 02:00:00 AM »
Hi Kurt, thanks for chiming in here. Do you recall if Rochester applied the green ptfe coating to the shafts in-house [very high cure temps required]
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 06:18:55 AM »
Some info on the details on the above carb from a expert on Quadrajets.

The choke blade and secondary air doors should be clear (silver), not yellow chromate. The only air doors I’ve ever seen that were yellow chromated were on some Pontiac carbs, and even then it appears to be hit-or-miss.

All of the screws should be black (black chromate was originally used I believe). The screws holding the air doors & choke blade on are the wrong style of screw as well.

Both primary & secondary throttle shafts (just the shafts, not the entire assembly) were originally coated in green Teflon before the operator mechanisms were peened on. Since it’s not feasible to disassemble the operator mechanisms from the shafts, they are typically stripped and plated in zinc (or cad, depending on who’s working on it) and subsequently yellow chromated.

Many of the small wire links (choke rod, pump arm rod, etc.) were originally clear, not yellow chromate. The idle adjuster screw is usually clear as are most of the external misc. springs. Same for the idle mixture screws & springs.

The big white nylon gasket behind the inlet fitting is a sign that the threads were heli-coiled. Most often the repair isn’t square to the original threads which causes the inlet fitting to leak around the perimeter since the (repaired) threads are no longer parallel to the sealing surface. The Teflon gasket compensates for some mis-alignment and helps seal the inlet fitting. HIC covers can be clear or yellow

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 09:32:58 AM »
Yep, that's pretty much exactly how I've always seen them as well.
Yes, your right about the air valve and choke screws - with what appears to be star washers under the heads??
The choke flap and fast idle shaft & housing were also Teflon coated. The sec. air valve shaft appears to be the only one left silver.
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 02:49:54 PM »

Many of the small wire links (choke rod, pump arm rod, etc.) were originally clear, not yellow chromate. The idle adjuster screw is usually clear as are most of the external misc. springs. Same for the idle mixture screws & springs.

Of the q-jets I have, all 4 connecting rods [choke, pull-off, pump, sec. throttle] are yellow chromated, as is the ilde speed adjustment screw, but not it's spring.
The idle mixture screws and springs are not chromated either.
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55